Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

i did eat one pretty bad (pretty long)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
ASE Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default i did eat one pretty bad - added pics (5/9)

so it happened for the first time on the track this weekend. i was running Summit Point - Jefferson saturday and sunday. first time on my ohlins setup and i was trying to dial it in. basically i went there to do two things. dial in my suspenion, and get my bump to A group. i did both.

saturday was cold/cloudy, and a few rain drops here and there. also, i could not run my tire warmers since there were no outlets there. it took seriously a good 7 laps for me to start getting good grip. i was sliding the bike around EVERYWHERE. front, rear.. both... it was nuts. slicks have NO traction cold... at first it was sketching me out, but i kept with it and i finally got a little comfortable with it. i actually learned a lot with sliding the bike around and what to do. by the third session of the day saturday one of the CR's came up to me and told me i looked good and was going a little too fast to be in intermediate . i had to stick it out for the rest of the weekend intermediate since i still had coolant in my bike. everything else was ready for advanced group. i ran the rest of the day saturday being a little cautious due to grip, but had fun non-the-less.

then sunday came around. first session of the day i felt REALLY good. i talked to the head CR and he told me they all mentioned me in the CR meeting that morning mentioning that they were just going to let me pass the whole day unless i really wanted help on line, but that i looked like i didnt need it. all they asked was that i wait for the hand movement for me to pass and not to just go by them. i found a TON of speed. i had been messing a lot with the suspension and by the third session it was on point. it felt so awesome, the bike was working so well for me. i had the rear end wagging around on me every braking zone, a shitload more grip than the day before. crazy corner speed. i had found a guy that let me bum off his generator to let me run my warmers which helped. i ran 3 sessions sunday and crashed on the third.

i was running the third session doing really well. i didnt really find anyone that i had a lot of trouble getting around and i felt like i was moving around the track really well. i was starting to get a little tired since it was the end of the session, but i didnt relax on getting off the bike. i come out of the last turn onto the straight away and saw a 1000 in front of me and a couple slower bikes going down the straight. i was thinking to myself "im going to get this 1000 on the brakes". we were coming up REALLY fast on a silver r6 in the middle of the track. he went to the left, i went to the right. i had PLENTY of room to go around him since he was in the middle of the straight. i clicked into third and was COMPLETELY commited to passing on the right with the speed i had compared to his. as im coming up on him, the guy turns around to wave the 1000 past him. when he did that to look, he started to drift to the right, where i was coming up on him VERY fast. for a second i though "i can squeeze in before he comes all the way" and then it hit me that this guy was coming all the way over. i hit the brakes HARD, and i mean HARD. the rear end came up on me and i thought i would come over the front end. i let out a little and got back on them again. he kept coming over and over and i dont think he ever really saw me. finally i slammed into him, and i slammed into him really hard. i bounced off him and went into the grass going every bit of 110-115mph. as i go into the grass, i see all the trees off the the side on the straight and i thought i was going straight for them. at that split second instict told me to lock up the brakes and thats what i did. i pulled the lever hard and i was rolling before i knew it. i rolled FOREVER.. and it seemed forever. finally i came to a stop and i saw all the dust rolling over top of me as i looked up at the sky. i was just thinking to myself "can i get up?" then i started thinking "my fucking bike... my fucking bike...". i know on the scheme of things that SHOULDNT of been my worry, but it sadly was. i have so much time and money, so much money, wrapped up in this thing. its literally like my child, as all of you think of your bikes. i sat up and looked around, gave the corner worker the thumb up that i was ok, and stood up. i seemed to be ok, but i stood there for a second to make sure. i looked over and i see my bike laying over on its side down the straight away. i walked over to it and see thats its pretty fucked up and smoking. i ran over to it and picked it up and started assessing the damage.

broken right clip on, broken fairing stay, bent clutch lever, badly dented tank, plastics took a beating, broken rear set peg (brand new), and a few other things here and there. but for 110ish it didnt look that bad. i picked it up on the side with the broken clip on and i had to get to the other side of the bike. to throw salt on the wound, while trying to do that, i dropped it again on its side. at that point i just walked away from it. i finally ended up having to push it off the track and into the pits. i was met at the exit by my freaking out girlfriend and friend jeremy.

all in all, im ok, the bike will be ok, and the other guy didnt go down. i completely trashed his exhaust from my frame slider, and jacked up his tail section a little, but he kept it up so its all good. he was cool, and i was cool about it, but i didnt say anything about holding your line and not worrying about whats behind you because i didnt want to get into it. i think one could argue it being either one of us at fault, but whatever. it happened, and it happens all the time at the track. i have no hard feelings, but i hope maybe someone talked to him about holding his line and not worrying about whats behind you.

first time the bike has been down in over a year since buying it brand new. i went over to the CCS races on the main track and bought a new fairing stay and clip ons and fixed it at the track before putting it on the trailer to come home.

it sucks, but i guess the good thing is that im ok. that was a high speed and im pretty surprised i walked away from it, and surprised the bike did as well as it did. im pretty beat up and sore, but it will wear off. im going to take some pictures and post them later on.

edit:

this is where i hit the guy's exhaust. my frame slider took a hit to his pipe and it destroyed the fairing right here

dirt in the slicks/exhaust

this one hurts

new vortex fairing stay and clip ons. plus a cracked up front fairing.

might as well add the money shot as well while im at it.

Last edited by onepointone; 06-18-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: i did eat one pretty bad (pretty long)

damn man, glad you're alright. hitting the ground at 100+ is never any fun, but bikes can be replaced, people.. not so much.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

glad you're alright man. yeah, like to see the pics...that last left is pretty bumpy and slick too - the cr's said somebody dumped oil all over that turn one year. that's badass you got it fixed before you left. hey, did you see the 66yr old dude, coleman, racing a 600rr in ccs? i saw him up at main on friday...that dude is a trip!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

man, i had that turn coming onto the straight down pact. i was getting off the bike so well and keeping it as upright as possible to keep that tire patch while driving so fucking hard off the corner. i had many times coming out of there just burning up the rear tire trying to drive off it. i ended up curing that with adjustments to get a better drive, but man that was an awesome feeling. i loved that turn.. probably my favorite turn on the track.

i didnt see him, but theres 69 year old that runs A group with all the track day organizations thats cool as hell. i pitted next with him in atlanta. its cool to see guys like that out there.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
--------------

c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff

good to hear your ok....any pics of the damage?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
ASE Master

thanks man,

im too fucking beat up to move around.. i cant believe how worse i am today than i was yesterday. ill move around and take some pictures tomorrow. i already fixed the clip ons and the fairing stay, but you can see all the other shit.

bright side is.. the mother instinct in my girlfriend has kicked in and im getting pampered... and im eating that shit up. i got chicken alfredo tonight, a neck/back massage and this and that.its pretty tight...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
apex-digital.net

slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6

that sucks Michael, u take pics of the damage?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
CIMSPORT

spnamnt has disabled reputation

damn dude, sux... glad ur ok tho.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onepointone
man, i had that turn coming onto the straight down pact. i was getting off the bike so well and keeping it as upright as possible to keep that tire patch while driving so fucking hard off the corner. i had many times coming out of there just burning up the rear tire trying to drive off it. i ended up curing that with adjustments to get a better drive, but man that was an awesome feeling. i loved that turn.. probably my favorite turn on the track.

i didnt see him, but theres 69 year old that runs A group with all the track day organizations thats cool as hell. i pitted next with him in atlanta. its cool to see guys like that out there.
i like turn 3-4 i think it is (might be 4-5)...the second double apex...SICK!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:39 AM
ASE Master

thanks guys, its all good. i knew it would happen eventually. i just woke up and im about to go to work. im feeling a lot better this morning, but still pretty sore.

like i said, i went there to do 2 things and i got them both done. im an advanced rider now and my suspension is dialed in. im just waiting for nesba to put that in the system and im signing up for my next days

seanazzy - are you talking about the back section thats pretty highspeed than goes to real low speed when it tightens up? it took me a long time to get a good line through there. the CR i was following had a garbage line going through there, for me atleast. once i figured it out he could be 5-6 bike lenghts ahead of me, and coming into that section i would be right up on him.

any plans on going back there for the next one they have? i was thinking about it, i have some credits built up so i wouldnt have to pay that much to go. maybe we can meet up?

Quick Reply: i did eat one pretty bad (pretty long)