Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

How much is your life worth?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vtectoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much is your life worth?

Man sentenced in Chesapeake crash that killed motorcyclist
By John Hopkins
The Virginian-Pilot
© July 8, 2008
CHESAPEAKE
A 76-year-old Chesapeake motorist was convicted Monday of reckless driving that resulted in a fatal crash in Deep Creek this year.
Chesapeake General District Judge Robert Carter sentenced James A. Hooks Sr. to 30 days in jail with 20 days suspended, fined him $200 and suspended his operator's license for six months. Hooks is appealing the conviction, according to court records.
Hooks was cited for reckless driving after the Jan. 19 crash with a motorcycle rider at N. George Washington Highway and Yadkin Road. George Phillips Jr., 56, was riding his motorcycle southbound around 3:40 p.m. on N. George Washington Highway when he stopped for a red light at Yadkin Road, police said.
Hooks' vehicle, following behind the motorcycle, failed to stop and rear-ended the motorcycle, police said. Phillips suffered serious injuries and was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital where he died.
The victim's wife, Linda Phillips, has filed a lawsuit in Chesapeake Circuit Court against Hooks, contending that he was negligent and careless in the operation of his vehicle. The lawsuit alleges that Hooks exceeded a reasonable rate of speed under traffic conditions and failed to maintain a proper lookout.
The lawsuit seeks $1 million in damages. Phillips is survived by his wife and two sons, the lawsuit said.
Attorney Timothy Anderson said his law firm is defending Hooks in the civil matter, but he could not comment on the case.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn
Default Re: How much is your life worth?

Damn thats rough!I want a bike sooooooooooooooo bad but I see shit like this and I just cant find myself to be that selfish to my lil girl!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

Originally Posted by jebsurf
Damn thats rough!I want a bike sooooooooooooooo bad but I see shit like this and I just cant find myself to be that selfish to my lil girl!
Rough? 10 days of jail, 200 dollars and a suspended license for six months for killing someone? AND he's appealing it.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

Originally Posted by ryanherington
Rough? 10 days of jail, 200 dollars and a suspended license for six months for killing someone? AND he\'s appealing it.
I think he meant rough on the dude that died there genius.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
go fast or move

durang-low has disabled reputation

thats some buttery bullshit! i was in a the same situation last year in november, at a light and rear ended, luckly only hurt my back and totaled my bike and i was ready to blow dudes spot up..200 bucks and 10 days in jail and no license for a few months is like a slap in the face to the victims family..i think they need to start retaking drivers tests when you hit a certain age, some of these older people SHOULD NOT be driving, let alone i see so many of them talking on cell phones and looking a gps screens cus they dont even know where they live anymore..i hope victims family gets every penny from him..that was a stupid and pointless death that should have never happened..RIP to yet another rider and best of luck to his family..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Cock of the Infinite

tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240

before anyone chimes in about the 1 million dollar lawsuit, please keep in mind that raising two children whilst paying the mortgage on a house and presumably two car payments not to mention needing to eventually pay for college and all that etc etc.. i think 1 million is actually a hell of a deal for the other party. it should be 2 or three. after she finishes paying for her children and all their needs and the house itself, there wont be enough of that one million for her to retire on. i cant believe they let that old ass fucker off the hook so easily. pulling out from a blind intersection i can understand, THAT is an accident. but Hitting someone from behind is just pure neglegance. same with not checking your blind spots. I think the motorcycle community as a whole should put some pressure on the courts to really up the ante on motorists who fail to operate their vehicles in such a manner that no one gets killed. lord knows the court system has been giving US the shaft for long enough.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 AM
go fast or move

durang-low has disabled reputation

i also would like to know why vehicular manslaughter charge wasnt given..i mean..a man did die..maybe its just me but the law in this state are crap..i got charged with wreckless driving for doing a burn out on private property, so you mean to tell me he faces the same penalty for killing someone that i do for spinning my rear tire and making some smoke..good ol commen wealth for ya..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by tiki240
before anyone chimes in about the 1 million dollar lawsuit, please keep in mind that raising two children whilst paying the mortgage on a house and presumably two car payments not to mention needing to eventually pay for college and all that etc etc.. i think 1 million is actually a hell of a deal for the other party. it should be 2 or three. after she finishes paying for her children and all their needs and the house itself, there wont be enough of that one million for her to retire on. i cant believe they let that old ass fucker off the hook so easily. pulling out from a blind intersection i can understand, THAT is an accident. but Hitting someone from behind is just pure neglegance. same with not checking your blind spots. I think the motorcycle community as a whole should put some pressure on the courts to really up the ante on motorists who fail to operate their vehicles in such a manner that no one gets killed. lord knows the court system has been giving US the shaft for long enough.
I completely agree with you. In my opinion they should have asked for at least 5 times that, and if my father was killed buy some stupid idiot in a car, I'd be demanding 50 million plus 25 to life in jail for man slaughter. In less they can replace a loving dad and a husband no amount of money can make that family feel whole again.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

nice opening post
bought time ya started posting
Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Originally Posted by WillSol
I think he meant rough on the dude that died there genius.
Actually I mean rough with you

Man should be charged with man slaughter

Quick Reply: How much is your life worth?