Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

How many of you have gotten into a serious accident?

Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoRider has disabled reputation
Default How many of you have gotten into a serious accident?

I got my permit today and getting my bike ready to start riding. My big question is how many of you have gotten into serious accidents? How many people do you know who have died on bikes?
I've done research, and in my opinion if you don't act stupid on a bike, drink, speed, and wear all the protective gear, the chances of you getting seriously injured or killed are pretty much cut in half. Now if people in cars would stop hitting bikes thats pretty much the other half. My parents are going nuts though, my dads printing out stuff about how bike riders are 34 times more likely to die, and blah blah blah. I realize they are more dangerous, but I just want to hear from people who have actually ridden. Please tell me all the horror stories you know. I've heard of some people dying in the area, and I've seen some pretty bad road rash, but I just dont really think I understand whats up. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: How many of you have gotten into a serious accident?

I'm a pretty careful guy, but I have little trouble with the dangers of a riding a bike. Its absolutely more dangerous than driving a car, for the simple fact that we are harder to see and we have less to protect us, but its not nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be. People only remember the people that they knew who got into accidents, they don't remember the 60 other people they knew that had bikes and didn't have a serious wreck, or they hear about crashes on the news or through the grapevine, but they don't get told about people riding and not getting hurt, so it seems more common that it is.

The way I see it is, I don't smoke, and I wear my seat belt, so even if I ride I'm still a lot more likely than the average american to make it to my old age, and if I get killed than atleast it will be doing something cool. If you don't ride beyond your limits, or ride a bike thats too much for you, then you'll really limit your chances of getting hurt. 99% of wrecks on bikes are caused by people trying to do stunts, ride curvey roads faster than they should, because they are riding a bike too powerful for them, or a combination of both. Sure a little old lady could just pull out and hit you even if your doing nothing wrong, but by riding defensively, you basically have to ride and imagine that every single car on the road wants you dead and is going to pull out in front of you, so if they do, your ready to take evasive action and have quicker reaction time to it and don't just panic.

Taking a poll on here isn't going to make you feel any better though because if you ride even slightly aggressive for long enough everyone crashes, I have, and everyone certainly knows someone who has had a serious accident, so you'll just get a lot of horror stories.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

whoops double post
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I am on the same page as you are as far as thinking that motorcycles are made out to be more dangerous than they are, but when you did get into an accident, how bad was it. Was it get up and walk away but bruised and baddered, was it broken bones, skin ripped off take 2 weeks off of work bad or what? I mean I've basically been told that if you ride a motorcycle you will get into an accident eventually, its inevitable, Im just worried about 1. the severity of the accident, and 2. is that true?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

My only street crash wasn't exactly my fault, but was because of who I was riding with which you can control. A guy was doing a wheelie behind me, and looped it as he came past me, his bike ended up in front of mine before I could do anything and I launched over it and went over the front, I had on excellent gear and only injury was breaking my rotator cuff in my shoulder, doctor said no riding for a few months but less than a week later I was taking off the sling to ride a friend's bike. It hurt but it wasn't like unbelievble pain or anything but there was a moment when I was laying on the pavement that I thought of what if it had been worse and questioned if this is what I wanted to do or not, but that went away quickly. I've crashed on the race track but again that was no big deal, no injuries I was back riding the following session.

Its generally true that if you ride long enough you will have a crash of some sort, it doesn't have to be true, but most of the time it is, if you ride long enough you will probably make a mistake at some point. You might really respect the bike and be careful but you will most likely eventually start pushing the limits. Or maybe you'll ride your entire life and never have an accident, its impossible to say when, where, why, or how it will happen and how severe it will be, but not pushing it, riding the right bike for you, and wearing full good quality gear can certainly put the odds in your favor of not having an accident, and if you do that it will be minor.

I would say to answer your question more directly, most people that ride sensibly don't have a serious accident, the majority of people that get into serious accidents are trying to ride too fast of bikes, are riding beyond their limits, or aren't wearing gear and therefor a minor incident becomes a very painful one. But if you ride smart, and start on a decent bike, then no a serious crash isn't really something you can expect on having to experience as a rider. Sure anything can happen to anyone, but that rule applies to your in the car as well .

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 05-21-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

If you keep thinking about something bad happening it is going to happen, just ride safe and defensively and you will be alright.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

zo4000 zo4000 zo4000 zo4000 zo4000 zo4000 zo4000

My big question is how many of you have gotten into serious accidents? How many people do you know who have died on bikes?

My best friend died right before my eyes...he wasnt speeding, truck cut him off- the truck cut 4 lanes across rt.1 to get to the 5th lane, he obviously didnt look before he pulled out, hiting the truck only broke his arm and leg, what killed him was neck trauma from where he flew off...in most cases NOVA accidents- as far as I know- are either a stupid car/truck driver, or bad road conditions, +/- speed. one of best things anyone ever told me was, if you think someone is going to do something, pretend like they are and be ready for it..ie riding in a lower gear so they can hear you, be ready to brake suddenly- accelerate. good luck and ride safe.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zo4000
My big question is how many of you have gotten into serious accidents? How many people do you know who have died on bikes?

My best friend died right before my eyes...he wasnt speeding, truck cut him off- the truck cut 4 lanes across rt.1 to get to the 5th lane, he obviously didnt look before he pulled out, hiting the truck only broke his arm and leg, what killed him was neck trauma from where he flew off...in most cases NOVA accidents- as far as I know- are either a stupid car/truck driver, or bad road conditions, +/- speed. one of best things anyone ever told me was, if you think someone is going to do something, pretend like they are and be ready for it..ie riding in a lower gear so they can hear you, be ready to brake suddenly- accelerate. good luck and ride safe.
That is one of two accidents I can remember. I wouldn't be riding in Nova, I think its too dangerous. Too many moms in hummers on their cell phones paying attention to their nails and not the road. I'm going to be living in Charlottesville and i plan on using it to get to class, weekend fun, and maybe get to Madison. Seems safe enough to me, except for the highway riding?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Originally Posted by NoRider
That is one of two accidents I can remember. I wouldn't be riding in Nova, I think its too dangerous. Too many moms in hummers on their cell phones paying attention to their nails and not the road. I'm going to be living in Charlottesville and i plan on using it to get to class, weekend fun, and maybe get to Madison. Seems safe enough to me, except for the highway riding?
Let me know if you are going to Madison from UVA ( I am assuming that is where you are going) I got there occasionally and take my bike there. Riding is always more fun with somebody else.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

sounds good man, if my girl can't get a ride to UVa I'll probably end up going to Madison so. Its going to be a while before I hit the highways though.

Quick Reply: How many of you have gotten into a serious accident?