Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

How to make your own Turbo Kit

Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bustadust can only hope to improve
Default How to make your own Turbo Kit

Ok, does anyone have a website or just common knowledge of EVERY part you need for the turbo kit.........as you can tell from my other post i am trying to get a turbo on a ninja 500r, maybe we can design a decent one ourselves? Just using other parts from other kits and combining everything together, i dunno its been done before lol. But i guess i need people to start listing what parts is gonna be needed
Old 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Post Whore has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to make your own Turbo Kit

#1 part...TURBO
Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

#2, just buy a faster/better bike.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Check out the book 'Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

wow in order to have a turbo charged bike you need a turbo?! how interesting indeed!! buying a faster and better bike puts a turbo kit on my kawasaki ninja 500r?!?!........wow genious idea!!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Email this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4583152739

the stats on the bike are as follows: The bike can run 30 psi for a few secs, but i usually turn it down to 10 to 15 psi. This is to protect the stock, I repeat, Stock motor. No special balancing, titanium do hickeys and what not. Before you guys jump my case, remember that the engine does not run at a higher rpm than stock; it is simply running at a higher BMSP (brake mean specific pressure) in the cylinder. Provided you keep your engine well oiled, and only stay on the boost for a few seconds, you're fine. Where people get in trouble is when they have overboosted an engine and then over rev it. Ouch. $$.

Besides...8 seconds of boost and you're well into triple digits.

The Turbo is a GT-15 with a ceramic turbine. It spins about 200K RPM and was originally desinged for a 1.4 L diesel engine. You could buy something similiar to this for new for about $800. You could also find one on ebay with few hours on it for much less. The rest of the parts are between $1000 and $1500 depending on how many gauges you want.

My riding impressions: It's a lot of fun to ride, but the turbo can get a little hot. Boost is available from 3000 rpm to 11k, and from 50 feet away, the whistle of the turbo drowns out the exhaust note. Note: a turbo acts as an exhaust by dispeling the majority of the exhaust pulse into the compressor. As a result, the pipe is quiet, but the turbine whisles like a jet engine....200,000 rpm remember? The bike is balanced and above 3K RPM the turbo is seamless. 3/4 throttle under boost is still a problem, with some hesitation and coughing. Blame the Carburetors. Besides, you don't build a turbo for 3/4 throttle, right?

I built most of the other items by hand. The plenum is 1/4" aluminum pipe with a 6 in diameter and welded in Velocity Stacks. The carbs are sealed and the caps are bolted down with a reinforment bar. The exhaust and intake are pretty basic tube work in Aluminum and 304 Stainless, with a little 317 stainless thrown in for the exhaust flanges. Gaskets are made of Copper, by hand and are .010 thick. The intercooler is a cut down version meant for the CBR1100 XX and I formed end caps and mounts for it. The turbo rides the exhaust manifold and is supported by a single floating mount common to the engine mounting bolts.

Street legal? Yes. With the exception that I run non-insulated sparkplug wires that fuzz out the TV's when I really get on it. He he.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

yea i want a bike where u can hear the turbo lol. It seems that turbo setup hurts the performance a little bit? I just want a simple turbo kit, nothing big. maybe running like 5psi or something in that nature
Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bustadust
wow in order to have a turbo charged bike you need a turbo?! how interesting indeed!! buying a faster and better bike puts a turbo kit on my kawasaki ninja 500r?!?!........wow genious idea!!!!
It may not put a turbo on it, but it will have a much better end result. WOWLOLERZ!!!!!!!OMGHI2U
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 PM
easy white boy easy!

nxchef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frost
Check out the book 'Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.

i was just lookin at my copy when i clicked this link its a really good starting point.

manifold injectors fuel pump turbo pipng BOV some way to tune it all......i dont know anything about bikes to some f the stuff youll have to adapt to bike motors
Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 PM

87vert has disabled reputation

couple pipes and a welder and your set, i'd scrap the carbs and get a fuel injection setup and run a standalone megasquirt

Quick Reply: How to make your own Turbo Kit