Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

first time bike buyer, local input wanted.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE
Default Re: first time bike buyer, local input wanted.

First one is a good deal. Probably can still talk them down. If you go to look at it ask for maintenance records just so you know it was actually done and what was done and replaced. I'd steer way clear of the second one. As it sits in the pictures its not street legal and you'd probably end up spending about 1k-1.5k to make it legal.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

If you're interested up in MD i found a 98 F3 that was laid down. front break lever is messed up but rear sets they say are good and obviously the fairings are scraped to hell.....but they will take $1000. You could get that n put new levers on for $100-150 at most and prolly even pick up some fairings if you wanted to have it lookin pretty. regardless you could sell it for more than you bought it for come spring.

I just got my first bike a few weeks ago, got an R1..... its a terrible first bike but honestly I've found that if you respect the bike and go easy with it it's fine. I haven't even gone WOT in 1 and haven't rev'd it out. if you're responsible you could jump on a 1000....i don't recommend it though. haha
Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 AM
VintageGashHunter

captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry

Originally Posted by Kurazy Kracka
If you're interested up in MD i found a 98 F3 that was laid down. front break lever is messed up but rear sets they say are good and obviously the fairings are scraped to hell.....but they will take $1000. You could get that n put new levers on for $100-150 at most and prolly even pick up some fairings if you wanted to have it lookin pretty. regardless you could sell it for more than you bought it for come spring.

I just got my first bike a few weeks ago, got an R1..... its a terrible first bike but honestly I've found that if you respect the bike and go easy with it it's fine. I haven't even gone WOT in 1 and haven't rev'd it out. if you're responsible you could jump on a 1000....i don't recommend it though. haha
the thing is im building up money right now, not buying just yet
Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
chpinalthewomensmeat

Buttsechs is a jewel in the roughButtsechs is a jewel in the roughButtsechs is a jewel in the rough

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/motorcycles-parts-58/93-cbr-600-f2-race-stunt-bike-359668/ from the classifieds section. wants 1200 for it
Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Dude, please please PLEASE steer clear of 'fixer-uppers'.

As a first time buyer be very careful about what it is you're buying...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
VintageGashHunter

captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry

im pretty sure i want a cbr f4. also, CBR600F4^ is yours yellow and were you perhaps whizing around by the tunnel out in vaB today? i was driving down there in the srt4 helping my girl move and a yellow pretty sure cbr just went flying passed all the traffic.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Nope........I had a silver/red one; sold it a looong time ago. I've got a yellow/blue CBR1000RR currently....

Good choice with an F4; can't go wrong with that bike!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

baggdymtukn20z has disabled reputation

my 1st was a 98 cbr f3. Great bike to learn on.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

I made this list, last time I picked up a bike. Things to look for when buying used.

Bike Buying Checklist

Legit title, matches frame
Lights work (turn, headlight, brakes, license plate)
Horn
Front brake pads
Rear brake pads
Front tire/wheel
Rear tire/wheel
Throttle snaps back
Clutch lever is smooth
Bounce forks, check for oil
Turn handle bars from side to side
Brake fluid
Coolant fluid
Open gas cap
Oil level
Chain
Sprocket
Center stand
Gauges work
Does it easily start
Does it idle smoothly
Any leaks
Any smoke
Fan runs
Should ride smooth
Shift into all gears
Has it been crashed
Missing or broken bolts
Service records available
Seat comes out
Took kit
Handbook

I'm sure others can add more.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:19 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

I like the CBR 600RR ... but the CBR F4... not so much... I didnt like the feel of the bike... it lacked a little power.. and hated that banana seat and that stupid bubble taillight. To each their own. I just think that the bikes looks old.. even if its a 2000 or late 90's... with that single seat and taillight... to me it looks like an early 90's bike.

I favor R6's... its obvious... I dont like the 98-2000 taillight on the R6 though. Makes the bikes look too old too. I would lean towards an 01 and up R6 or an 03 and up CBR 600RR.

My first street bike was a 91 Yamaha FZR 600R. It was a great bike.. old and ugly with its round headlight and square taillight (shit looked like a brick on the back of the bike... lol).... but the bike itself was super light and made decent power for the year...

and dont get caught up too much on how the bike looks or the power.. you need to go sit on a few and see how they feel to you.... some bikes lean over more than other. Feet positions are completely different. Bike heights... bar positions... how wide the bike is... weight... how comfy the seat is... all these things will impact how much you enjoy the bike.

Quick Reply: first time bike buyer, local input wanted.