Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

first time bike buyer, local input wanted.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM
VintageGashHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry
Default first time bike buyer, local input wanted.

well, its come to the point in my life that i am sick if seeing people on bikes on nice sunny saturdays just going out for rides. im ready to be one of them. only issue, i know nothing about motorcycles. how to buy, ride, work on, anything. i have been doing SOME research, right now im just looking for a few things. a guy i work with who rides has told me about a school (for those in central va, mechanicsville area) that works with the dmv, its a 2 day class, and you get your license when your done, and its only like $ 140-160 i believe. anyone know about this? or something similar in central va?

also next obvious question, WHICH BIKE-

seeing that i dont know much about them, what bikes are the best bang for their buck? good quality built bike, the fastest bike isnt that important since most bikes are all pretty much very quick, but that knowledge is nice to know. im interested in a 600 my price range around 2000 or a little more, no more than 3000. obvious bike interest in the price range are;
honda cbr
suzuki katana
yamaha ninja

also, what is alot of miles for a bike? i have no clue.

what are things to look for when buying a used bike?, not full details, but just quick obvious things

i think thats about it, thanks in advance for the imput!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered member

LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE
Default Re: first time bike buyer, local input wanted.

Take the class. It's a good starting point. They teach you about the bike and how to ride it. Great for first timers. Take the class then start to look for a bike. Best bet(but kind of sucks) is to wait until off season to buy a bike. Your 2 grand now might not get you much but if you wait until winter your money will go a lot further.

As far as what you're looking for when you buy a bike you just want to check the levers and brakes. Check the chain and the tires. Sprockets on the bike make sure they are not cracked or missing teeth. Is it leaking fluid.. what needs would need to be replaced if anything.. last time and frequency of oil changes... etc.. And for mileage it doesnt really matter as long as the bike has been maintained. But being an older bike the less mileage the better due to the carb and it possibly needing some maintenance. But typically most people by a cheap beater starter bike ride it for a season and then upgrade to something a little nice once they are comfortable riding.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 PM
VintageGashHunter

captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry

how often do you change bike oil? are all bikes carb? even newer ones? and what are levers?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Registered member

LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE

Most older bikes up to like 02 and below are mostly carb (sportbikes) pretty much everything new is fuel inj. Just like a car about every 3k. When/if you store it for winter change it before you winterize it so that it sits with fresh oil and not old gunk. Levers that are on the bars (brake and clutch) make sure they pull smooth and not getting caught up like they are kinked. I personally recommend taking the class that way when you go to buy a bike you can actually test ride it.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by captainsperry
well, its come to the point in my life that i am sick if seeing people on bikes on nice sunny saturdays just going out for rides. im ready to be one of them. only issue, i know nothing about motorcycles. how to buy, ride, work on, anything. i have been doing SOME research, right now im just looking for a few things. a guy i work with who rides has told me about a school (for those in central va, mechanicsville area) that works with the dmv, its a 2 day class, and you get your license when your done, and its only like $ 140-160 i believe. anyone know about this? or something similar in central va?

http://www.cvcc.vccs.edu/continuing%...ycle/Basic.asp

also next obvious question, WHICH BIKE-

seeing that i dont know much about them, what bikes are the best bang for their buck? Bang for your buck is all relative; taking your time to find the right bike to purchase is key. That could mean the right season (late winter/early spring peeps are selling theirs to buy a new one) or really just hunting and hunting til you find what you're looking for, even if you have to drive 100 miles to get it. good quality built bike, Quality is also up to interpretation or opinions, BUT, some makers made crap for certain years and/or models, research is the key. the fastest bike isnt that important since most bikes are all pretty much very quick, No, they're not. I would steer clear of a katana 600 as any other 600 of the same year will blow it's wheels off. If you meant in comparison to most cars then you would be correct. but that knowledge is nice to know. im interested in a 600 my price range around 2000 or a little more, no more than 3000. obvious bike interest in the price range are;
honda cbr Good choice
suzuki katana Crap
yamaha ninja Be careful what year, some years were notorius for problems, especially the gear box

also, what is alot of miles for a bike? i have no clue. There isn't a good answer. 13k could be allot of miles if it wasn't maintained at all. Or a bike could have 60k and be like brand new. Bikes are a ton of money cheaper to maintain than cars, so miles really don't matter. But in turn, they can abused allot more than cars in a shorter amount of time, so if proper maintenance wasn't done it will be in a world of hurt. A good inspection or previous owner that you trust are a must.

what are things to look for when buying a used bike?, not full details, but just quick obvious things The only things I'll add to what's already been listed is to do your research. For instand the 99-00 CBR600F4's had bad cam chain tensioners. Not something you can inspect visually, but you can hear it. Another thing I'll add is the gear box, if you can't test ride it bring a friend who can to truly inspect the clutch and gears during a ride. The last cosmetic stuff. sure, that awesome undertail that hides the plate behind the rear tire looks cool, and the fact that it doesn't have blinkers or mirrors is a plus......but good luck ever getting it inspected legally.

i think thats about it, thanks in advance for the imput!

For your price range (you might wanna up it to 3-3.5k) I would be looking at 99-02's (or close to those years). Most 600's of those years will be carb'd. I would recommend an F4/i...............cause you can't break a Honda........

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/1936826560.html

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/1932767426.html

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/1928887240.html

Last edited by CBR600F4; 09-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM
VintageGashHunter

yeah im planning on it soon, next time i have 2 days off in a row probably
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered member

Maybe even consider a Ninja 250. Still a bike with some speed when the throttle is turned. not to much. good resell value. fun to ride and whip around in turns. about 4k basically new. Just a thought.
http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product...?scid=6&id=431 (added info on it)

this is in my area. but just an idea.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...927735794.html

Last edited by LeetPIE; 09-05-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-05-2010, 09:46 PM
VintageGashHunter

im looking to get a bigger bike cause i want to own it for a while. and my friend from work told me a 600 is like the best size for first buyers and people who have experience
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
VintageGashHunter

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/1871141428.html
http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/1934262611.html R6?:

what is dammage that could come from a laydown beside body?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by captainsperry
im looking to get a bigger bike cause i want to own it for a while. and my friend from work told me a 600 is like the best size for first buyers and people who have experience
Just saying that you may want to consider it. I've ridden them and they're still fun little quick bikes. Just saying.

Quick Reply: first time bike buyer, local input wanted.