VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Deadly accident causes heavy backup on JRB (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/deadly-accident-causes-heavy-backup-jrb-212189/)

R1Buttercup 11-13-2007 03:01 PM

Deadly accident causes heavy backup on JRB

Another fallen rider.

Traffic is now flowing smoothly along the James River Bridge. An earlier, fatal accident had caused major backups.

According to State Police a van was traveling toward Isle of Wight when it ran out of gas which caused another van to his the one that ran out of gas.

A motorcycle, which appeared to be traveling at a high rate of speed, was riding down the middle of the two lanes of traffic and lost control and struck three other vehicles. The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene. His identity has not yet been released.

Wavy 10

This is got to stop. That's four motorcycle accident's in less than a week.

Local MC's are getting together to have a meeting hopefully this weekend to talk about the rise in motorcycle fatalities. Will post more info later.

Runnin13s 11-13-2007 03:46 PM

Re: Deadly accident causes heavy backup on JRB

wtf is going on with all these crazy accidents

Verbal 11-13-2007 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by R1Buttercup (Post 3552527)

A motorcycle, which appeared to be traveling at a high rate of speed, was riding down the middle of the two lanes of traffic and lost control and struck three other vehicles.

What was he thinking? I can't believe how far away the bike was, i'd say he was haulin ass.

TwoValveKid 11-13-2007 06:12 PM

^ +1

I love my bike as much as the next guy....but i have no sympathy for someone splitting lanes or weaving in and out. Specially on a section of road like that, that i travel everyday.

Slimsta Jimsta 11-13-2007 06:16 PM

i had seen signs at work about it and the traffic buildup, and thought it may have been a rider.

rip.

Real Random 11-13-2007 06:21 PM

don't know what MC clubs will d but i think it is time for cops to start crackin down on bikers and also for friends to step up and put pressure on their buds to get legal and ride safe. I hate hearing about dumb bikers getting killed

TPJ 11-13-2007 06:30 PM

Yeah, and thats the sad thing is lately it seems to be a lot of people who are being idiots. I wish people would grow up and realize that bikes are not just a toy. These things can, will, and do kill people.

Grow up and ride safe everyone.

RIP

Real Random 11-13-2007 06:34 PM

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-no...r_tab01_layout

another article with pics
from the different pics it looks like a black fireblade or r1

TPJ 11-13-2007 07:15 PM

Going by the swingarm, I'd definitely have to say it's a black R1. Hopefully no one anyone knows, and hopefully no one who's bike I work on here at the shop :(

The initial reports I heard during the day said it was a Harley.

At least I know it wasn't Brandon (Sadly, I can tell by the tires), whose bike I work on all the time, hopefully no one else is directly effected. This is getting unreal

SeanJohn 11-13-2007 07:19 PM

Let me start by saying RIP to this fallen Rider.

I don't think the MC clubs will do much, But Q i agree with you that the police needs to start cracking down.

Also I think VA needs to do what they do overseas, where when you get your MC license and for the 1st year you can only run a small sized bike, and progress to a larger bike. Also have a special point system, just for the M class. Just my 2cents.

TwoValveKid 11-14-2007 01:16 AM

I dont think this had anything to do with the fact that it was an R1....just about any bike out there will do 60-70 easy, and i bet that's what he was doing. It was just passed the small boat channel going southbound so i bet he just wasnt paying attention (maybe goofing off) and came over the hump and saw the traffic suddenly....but it was a little ways after the hump...so i'm doubting myself on that.

JDM74 11-14-2007 02:09 AM

It doesn't matter if the rider is on a R1 or a GS500. Both will go fast enough to kill you. If a rider rides reckless, he is going to do it on whatever bike he has. Period. Personally, I would like to see the motorcycle safety course be a requirement to getting a motorcycle license.

Real Random 11-14-2007 02:23 AM

the only reason the bike is mentioned is for those of use that may potentially know who the rider is. It has been established that you can die on any type of bike (think it came up in the 8th death this year) but to gather info on the rider bike type is a good starting point.

I know if it was a silver bike my phone would be blowing up.

***edit***
No one reads anymore

R1Buttercup 11-14-2007 03:32 AM

No news on the rider yet. It sucks but once again it was the motorcyclist's fault. I'm glad no else was hurt.

It doesn't matter what you ride, two wheels is two wheels, ride safely and be aware of your surroundings.

I avoid JRB for several reasons.

Everyone please ride smart, we don't need any more avoidable death's.

Voodoo ST 11-14-2007 05:40 AM

You see, another rider doing dumb ass shit, and wonder why the good guys are frowned apon!

vmspionage 11-14-2007 05:57 AM

On a side note, is lane splitting illegal in VA? I thought it was ok when it was safe and prudent.

durang-low 11-14-2007 06:31 AM

I would have to say yes lane spliting is illegal in va..just about everything is..too many crashes this year and its sad to see so many sport bikes being so reckless, granted i will go fast at times and i know others do too but theres a time and place. everyone please be safe out there and think for the bike dont let the bike think for you....RIP

....AJ.... 11-14-2007 06:35 AM

Still, even though he was a fucking idiot, R.I.P

I will never ever ever own a bike. For more reasons than one.

Real Random 11-14-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by V8 Hunter (Post 3554789)
You see, another rider doing dumb ass shit, and wonder why the good guys are frowned apon!

PREACH!

dave22 11-14-2007 07:15 AM

I heard from a person on the bridge (through a friend) that he caught air on one of the bumps and when he came down he hit a truck. His arm was completely removed and he bled to death before help could arrive.

Real Random 11-14-2007 07:16 AM

daaaamn
that sux

tiki240 11-14-2007 07:24 AM

Co-worker of mine was in front of the accident when it happend he said all he saw was a ball of fire behind him. he hit his brakes and got out. he was actually watching the rider as he died. said the arm was like 20 ft away from the body and that no one could help him,

R1Buttercup 11-14-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by vmspionage (Post 3554826)
On a side note, is lane splitting illegal in VA? I thought it was ok when it was safe and prudent.

Hell no, not in VA :thdown:

Not going to lie, I've done my share of lane splitting. But, it is dangerous!

Not only do we have to watch for cagers but we need to ride responsibly. Our lives are not just at stake, others on the road so respect others and hopefully cagers will respect us.

Cagers need to be more aware of the roads, if you see a biker, give more cushion.

Everyone needs to PAY ATTENTION and hopefully we'll avoid accidents.

BentValve 11-14-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by vmspionage (Post 3554826)

Most definitely illegal in VA. Cali is the only state I know of where lane splitting is legal.

It's crazy to hear all these fatal motorcycle accidents daily in the 757.

SpeedJunkie 11-14-2007 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tiki240 (Post 3555066)
Co-worker of mine was in front of the accident when it happend he said all he saw was a ball of fire behind him. he hit his brakes and got out. he was actually watching the rider as he died. said the arm was like 20 ft away from the body and that no one could help him,

Ouch, what a painful way to go.

dave22 11-14-2007 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by R1Buttercup (Post 3555112)
Cagers need to be more aware of the roads, if you see a biker, give more cushion.

I thought about commenting on how this thread had done well so far without going anti-"cager" for absolutely no reason. I guess that just went out the window. :rolleyes:

R1Buttercup 11-14-2007 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by dave22 (Post 3555132)
I thought about commenting on how this thread had done well so far without going anti-"cager" for absolutely no reason. I guess that just went out the window. :rolleyes:

Sorry didn't mean to make the thread anti-cager, I said both rider's and cager's need to respect each other.

I have my own personal reason why I hate cagers.

tiki240 11-14-2007 07:44 AM

Buttercup, dinner this week?

dizz81 11-14-2007 07:45 AM

damn I know a few people that have R1's.. I'm hoping it's none of them..

dave22 11-14-2007 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by R1Buttercup (Post 3555146)
I have my own personal reason why I hate cagers.

I know. :o

But as someone who respects bikers and gives them more than enough room it still bothers me to see "cagers" brought up in a thread where the people in the cars couldn't have done anything to prevent the accident.

R1Buttercup 11-14-2007 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by dave22 (Post 3555169)
I know. :o

But as someone who respects bikers and gives them more than enough room it still bothers me to see "cagers" brought up in a thread where the people in the cars couldn't have done anything to prevent the accident.

I'm glad you respect bikers.

"Cagers" isn't a bad term, its what the 2wheel community calls anyone with 4wheels.

Like I said, I don't hate all cagers, just the stupid ones ;)

Originally Posted by tiki240 (Post 3555158)
Buttercup, dinner this week?

Call me fool!!

BentValve 11-14-2007 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by dave22 (Post 3555169)

The van could have gotten gas? The rider might have lived but eventually, riding reckless like that would have caught up to him.

TPJ 11-14-2007 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BentValve (Post 3555241)
The van could have gotten gas? The rider might have lived but eventually, riding reckless like that would have caught up to him.

That's still stretching it. The fact is, the dude was riding too fast.

Real Random 11-14-2007 08:42 AM

why does things get jumpin when i am asleep at work?

duder 11-14-2007 10:42 AM

These deaths are getting out of hand. I'm not sure if I agree with a police crack down. I feel like we already have a good deal of pressure from law enforcement to obey the law. Upping the pressure might result in safer riding, but could also result in a substantial increase in bullshit tickets (10 over, illegal exahust, turn signals, etc).

The only thing that will bring down the deaths are people that no longer seek a massive adrenaline rush on bikes, knowing your limits and paying attention to traffic conditions much more closely.

streEtFyter 11-14-2007 11:18 AM

TO everyone posting in this thread, I knew the guy that was in the accident. His name was Mike and was in the AF. I rode with him when I first got my bike about 2 months ago. He was a good guy but from riding with him once, seemd like he love to push it to the limit. He just got here from Korea in August. I found out about this when i went into work last night and i couldn't believe it. Be safe out there everyone.

RIP Mike, great knowing you while you were here.

Real Random 11-14-2007 11:25 AM

State police say the motorcyclist who died in an accident Tuesday on the James River Bridge was a Minnesota man stationed at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton.

Michael Starren, a 23-year-old from Williams, Minn., was an active-dury senior airman at Langley

Damn...

TheGentleArt 11-14-2007 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 3555350)
That's still stretching it. The fact is, the dude was riding too fast.

Yes, he wasn't catching air on the JRB at 60, dude was hauling ass. I am sorry the guy died :( its why i don't push my luck on my bike.

TheGentleArt 11-14-2007 11:36 AM

I doubt we will get harrased much, to be honest, i see bikes get away with more shit then cars. My friends with bikes honestly dont think they have ever been pulled while on a bike. But then again, like when the guy died running from the cops, people wanted to blame the cops /sigh. We all just need to be accountable for what we do and grow up; we need to realize that the few minutes of fun at hair raising speeds just isn't worth losing your life. I am all for cops being a little stricter on bikes, but i think they should be stricter on cars, do it as a whole. Look at the shit people get away with on the daily, reading a book while driving, doing their make up, bikes going in between cars on the dotted lines, doing 100mph in the HOV, in general VA drivers need to get better behind the wheel, restrict all persons license til they are at least 18, etc.

Originally Posted by duder (Post 3555703)
These deaths are getting out of hand. I'm not sure if I agree with a police crack down. I feel like we already have a good deal of pressure from law enforcement to obey the law. Upping the pressure might result in safer riding, but could also result in a substantial increase in bullshit tickets (10 over, illegal exahust, turn signals, etc).

The only thing that will bring down the deaths are people that no longer seek a massive adrenaline rush on bikes, knowing your limits and paying attention to traffic conditions much more closely.

Real Random 11-14-2007 12:06 PM

damn
I was to late in my efforts on base
crap
Going to talk to the safety office again tomorrow