Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Buying a bike and need some input.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM
conquer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud of
Default Buying a bike and need some input.

Last edited by PiGPEN; 04-21-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM
On 2 now

T226 can only hope to improve
Default Re: Buying a bike and need some input.

I mean no insult by this but, having rode a motocross bike has really nothing in common with a sportsbike minus the fact that both have an engine and two wheels. They are two COMPLETLY different things.

As for the Kawi, it is an older bike so it is goign to be more prone to break down or have complications.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

it's really sad that people think of a 93 as "older".
Old 06-30-2008, 09:19 PM
On 2 now

T226 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
it's really sad that people think of a 93 as "older".
So 18 years young then?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by T226
So 18 years young then?
I am pretty sure that is 15.. not 18.

Last edited by FairladyZTT; 06-30-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by hunter smash
I used to motocross so I have a bit of a headstart on motorcycles, just not on the street. I was on craigslist looking around for a bike to ride. I didn't want anything crazy, nor did I want anything too dull. So I was looking at older sportbikes mostly 600s and stuff. When my brothers friend said he was trying to get rid of his. So I asked him.

1993 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R

He said all it might need was a carb clean and that he had laid it down on the left side. He showed me a picture of it before he laid it down and it looked very mint. Shiny silver color with brand new tires. He also said it was bored to 800-something I can't remember I will find out soon. It ran great and is a very quick bike and then it just sat for 2 years. I wish I could find the pic though! I will be looking at it this weekend. He is going to clean the carb and get it running before I take it. He stated he just needed to get rid of it because he'll be moving. Oh, and I know it's a big bike and isn't as agile as most out there today, but I just wanted something to cruise with when I don't feel like driving my car. Any advice or input on the older Ninjas would be great! Thanks for looking.
Carbed 600's.. you will out grow pretty quickly. Now the newer injected 600's have alot of ass behind them. Even when you are ready to step up to a bigger bike. You will not feel that you have "outgrown" your bike... just that you want something a little faster.

I had a 91 Yamaha FZR-600R for my first bike. It was great... I laid it down and all. Learned how to ride. Took my test, and got my license on it. Then I put my leg over my 06 R6s. OMG! Talk about a differnce. I have been riding my R6 for over a year now, since I have "outgrown" my FZR 600. I am pretty confident that I could be completely content with riding it for another year. I am wanting an R1 now, but I am happy with what I have and can wait till I have better funding for my R1. And I think that autocross and streetbike have quite a bit in common. Street bikes have a firmer suspension, tires grip 100 times better, and you dont turn the bars as much. You lean alot! Other than that.. they are pretty much really close!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 AM
conquer

PiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by T226
I mean no insult by this but, having rode a motocross bike has really nothing in common with a sportsbike minus the fact that both have an engine and two wheels. They are two COMPLETLY different things.

As for the Kawi, it is an older bike so it is goign to be more prone to break down or have complications.
Oh I know that. I did ride my brother's 99 ZX9 one time so I know the difference. I was just throwing it out there.

Originally Posted by FairladyZTT
Carbed 600's.. you will out grow pretty quickly. Now the newer injected 600's have alot of ass behind them. Even when you are ready to step up to a bigger bike. You will not feel that you have "outgrown" your bike... just that you want something a little faster.
Thanks. That helps. I know the bike will be a good starting point.

Last edited by PiGPEN; 07-01-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 AM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi

Not sure about older Ninja's, but I got a 1995 Honda CBR F3 600, got it couple years ago, still runs like a champ. Maybe just Honda's?

But seriously Skrooz posted in some other thread recently, it's not the age or miles on a bike, it's how it's been maintained and ridden. I bought my F3 with it reading 28k, now reads 43k, still runs great although the gearing is making it register 1.8 miles for every actual mile I go so it really doesn't have the 43k but it runs great!

If you can get that Ninja for cheap it be a good starting point and transition to street riding for you.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

How many miles? A well synced carbed bike will run better than an FI bike. 93 is not even old. Since it has been sitting that long, make sure the chain is good, all fluids are replaced, battery, and run it naked.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:39 PM
conquer

Originally Posted by BentValve
How many miles? A well synced carbed bike will run better than an FI bike. 93 is not even old. Since it has been sitting that long, make sure the chain is good, all fluids are replaced, battery, and run it naked.
It has about 14k on it now. It had 9k when the guy got it and thats when he did the rebuild and bored it out. Other than that he said it was in great shape and ran strong. It looked excellent in the pic, then he dropped it so it should have some left side damage but nothing too extensive. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Buying a bike and need some input.