Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Where to find help with airbag problem

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN
Default Where to find help with airbag problem

I have a 2002 Windstar and the airbag light flashes a code and stays lit. It has been diagnosed as the occupant classification sensor in the passenger seat. From what I understand, it must be replaced as a system and needs to be zeroed when replaced so it is not a DIY job. I'm trying not to get raped by a dealer (started out as $300 in parts then went up to $800 and now down to $650...makes me think they are just throwing parts at it), but I'm having trouble finding a private shop that knows anything about airbags. Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Where to find help with airbag problem

dooo what?

with toyota's we simply recalibrate the seat that has been effected. takes 20 minutes.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:25 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Look for the sensor and its wiring under the seat. Any frayed or cut wires?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
Look for the sensor and its wiring under the seat. Any frayed or cut wires?
No.

The module itself has two plastic tabs to hold it to a bracket...it just slides onto a metal bracket on the seat. The tabs have broken off and what I have been told is that the module must be mounted in a specific orientation (is that even possible in a vehicle?) in order to work properly. I currently have it zip-tied to the bracket just to keep from stressing the wiring and the air bag light is still lit. The module cannot be purchased by itself, it must be purchased as an assembly with the bladder in the seat.

I have the part number and have found it online for less than $550. I believe that I can install it, the only thing that will need to be done is to calibrate it.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Time to head over to CAP auto and grab one (maybe just take the whole seat out of there), install the replacement stuff in your car, then take it to a dealer to recalibrate?