Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

What's everyone think of Kumho's??

Old 03-19-2004, 10:18 AM
at the track today?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast
Default Re: What's everyone think of Kumho's??

My 2 cents... I ran those Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's at VIR a couple of times and hated them. I got rid of them in favor of Falken Azenis for about the same price, which are WAY stickier.

As a street tire they were fine, but sliding sideways at 100mph lap after lap they were very vague and noisy and unpredictable and hard as rocks.

Jon
Old 03-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

just so you know treadware ratings can not be compared from manufacturer to manufacturer. Each company has different standards for their treadware rating.

The DOT classes are all the same among tires, but not treadware.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:40 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by Woodrow
just so you know treadware ratings can not be compared from manufacturer to manufacturer. Each company has different standards for their treadware rating. The DOT classes are all the same among tires, but not treadware.
I know, I've been in the tire business for years. It still doesn't change the fact that the 280-treadwear Kumho 712's were worthless garbage at or near the limits of adhesion. Much less of an 'ultra high performance summer tire' than I had expected... but again, fine for street driving (except for the noise.)

Jon
Old 03-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

The Kumho 712 is not a track tire and you should know this if you are in the tire business. If you want a decent track tire from kumho, get a victoracer v700, not a Kumho 712. I have seen quite a few people with nice results with them, and some without them.
However you were basing your comments of a street only tire on VIR. That's like saying street tires suck at the track and you should never buy them. Use the tire for its intended application and you will get results. You want a sticky road racing tire, get a road racing tire, not a street tire.

By your ideas, the new Michelin Pilot Sport PS 2 is a shitty tire being it has a low treadware rating of a 220 then. Yet this is one of the best all around performance tire on the street. Just because the treaware rating is low does not always mean a bad tire.

Last edited by Woodrow; 03-19-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:14 PM
DILLIGAF?

BadBeck is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a couple of autocross friends with BMW's and WRX"s that use Kumho's-work wonderfully on their cars for autocrossing. dunno anything about them for anything else. ask wrxracer111 if you want more info on it-hes a cool guy willt ell ya what you need to know.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:47 PM
at the track today?

Originally Posted by BadBeck
i got a couple of autocross friends with BMW's and WRX"s that use Kumho's-work wonderfully on their cars for autocrossing. dunno anything about them for anything else. ask wrxracer111 if you want more info on it-hes a cool guy willt ell ya what you need to know.

IIRC Chris (WRXRACER111) runs the Kumho race tires, not the street tires.

As for other comments... you are right, a street tire on a road course is not really a fair thing. Sometimes when pennies are tight that's all I can afford to run (that's how I ended up that way before... no $600 at the time for new Kumho or Toyo race tires.)

All I meant was... anyone who thinks the Kumho 712 is a good high performance tire has never driven them at or near the limit.

PS- I do have a set of the new Kumho MX's incoming, which are supposed to be much better. They're going on the BMW next week so I'll have a review shortly.

Jon
Old 03-20-2004, 08:58 PM
DILLIGAF?

BadBeck is an unknown quantity at this point

my bad.

Last edited by BadBeck; 03-20-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:59 AM
semicolonD.net

eclpsed eclpsed

Kumho = crap... I can get any tire for about 100 a tire, i dont see why anyone would get Kumho unless they just didnt want anything else or didnt care about tires.... I had a set cause it came on some used wheels i got.. they are total crap. I ended up taking them off and ordering some falkens.... i'd say get some better tires if ya have alot of HP and want to do better at the track. if u just have bolt ons then the Kumhos will work fine at the track and you wont really notice a differance in tires.. but all n all I'd drive 'em til they get old then get something better.. dont rebuy Kumho.. just my .02
Old 03-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Slow as Shit

Originally Posted by eclpsed
Kumho = crap... I can get any tire for about 100 a tire, i dont see why anyone would get Kumho unless they just didnt want anything else or didnt care about tires.... I had a set cause it came on some used wheels i got.. they are total crap. I ended up taking them off and ordering some falkens.... i'd say get some better tires if ya have alot of HP and want to do better at the track. if u just have bolt ons then the Kumhos will work fine at the track and you wont really notice a differance in tires.. but all n all I'd drive 'em til they get old then get something better.. dont rebuy Kumho.. just my .02
Ok get me some Michelin Pilot Sport 275/40/17 for 99.99
Old 03-21-2004, 02:30 PM
semicolonD.net

eclpsed eclpsed

i did say "about" and before you try to be a smartass.. look at the size he was asking about 205/40/17... about 100 bucks differance in 205 and 275

Quick Reply: What's everyone think of Kumho's??