Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

trouble for not being carb exempt?

Old 11-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chibich has disabled reputation
Default trouble for not being carb exempt?

I am looking for headers and an up-pipe, but the only ones I have found that are carb exempt are the borla. does anyone know what trouble i would get in if i was not carb exempt, or if my catalytic converters will take care of it? (any info helpful!!!!)
Old 11-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Settled..

ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN
Default Re: trouble for not being carb exempt?

What year car?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

Originally Posted by chibich
I am looking for headers and an up-pipe, but the only ones I have found that are carb exempt are the borla. does anyone know what trouble i would get in if i was not carb exempt, or if my catalytic converters will take care of it? (any info helpful!!!!)
up pipe? is this a wrx?
Carb doesnt mean shit thats California Air Resources Board
Virginia has different laws. But a header and upipe are technically illegal. But no one will ever no. When you get your car inspected they wont even know its there since its so hidden anyways. Even if you were to get pulled by a cop they would never know. If you plan on leaving your cats in you will be fine.
Many on here are dont even run cats....no smog so the only way getting caught is if you get pulled by a cop that knows what he is doing and looks under the car and see's no cat......not to many of those cops around here
Old 11-07-2004, 08:07 PM
TERMIN8

ThroatyStang has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by chapter8
up pipe? is this a wrx?
Carb doesnt mean shit thats California Air Resources Board
Virginia has different laws. But a header and upipe are technically illegal. But no one will ever no. When you get your car inspected they wont even know its there since its so hidden anyways. Even if you were to get pulled by a cop they would never know. If you plan on leaving your cats in you will be fine.
Many on here are dont even run cats....no smog so the only way getting caught is if you get pulled by a cop that knows what he is doing and looks under the car and see's no cat......not to many of those cops around here
I have no Cats and when they look under my car they will see cats Rebar is your friend

PS Tell me what car you have, I might sell the part you are looking for.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Settled..

ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN

Really the only time thats going to suck for us all is the sniffer test that is coming... 2-3 more years and Richmond areas will have it....
Old 11-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

I am keeping all the catalytic converters, my down-pipe has both of the cats, and the up-pipe doesn't have a cat stock. All I will be doing is replacing the headers and up-pipe with larger and more free flowing piping.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

ok what kind of car????
Old 11-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

sti
Old 11-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Patron

yeah thats what I thought when u said no cat in the upipe since the regular rex has one. Dude why dont u just get rid of one of your cats. Thats the worst thing to have on a turbo car.

Actually upipes do not yield large gains on the sti. If I were to do it I would get the headers, downpipe and catback and weld a hi-flow cat in the downpipe. This way you are still legal in the eyes of the federal government. Because no matter what you do to your car exhaust in this state its illegal so there is little logic to keeping the cats.

But if you have atleast 1 cat its legit fed wise....you wont have ulev status but who cares unless you are a tree hugger. Only downside on the sti to freeing all that air on the hotside is that you get boost spike in the winter....so u have to monitor that.

I never understood the logic of all the sti's guys keeping the stock muffler and putting upipes in and such. You still have a huge cork in your system with oem exhaust and cats. And like stated earlier the stock upipe is plent sufficient...if you upgrade to lets say a perrin or something there is little to no improvement....they make substantial gains on a WRX bacuase of the cat in the upipe

Last edited by Terry@Fortune; 11-08-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Murdered Out

Up_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to all

www.nasioc.com

dont look for too much answers on here for subie Q's. if you are going to eliminate all the restriction on the sti exhaust i would look into www.turboxs.com for full exhaust systems for better flow. as far as up-pipes go, alot of people i see go for the helix flex uppipe. i went for a full HKS setup(up,down/catback exhaust) no cats on my car and has an awesome rumble to it. i havent heard anything bad on Borla uppipes..but read a little of this before you buy. i wish i did. just my .02

READ ME!!!

Quick Reply: trouble for not being carb exempt?