Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Liability Question

Old 05-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Big Poppa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hovocx hovocx hovocx
Default Liability Question

Went to walmart last night before the big storm, while at walmart the storm picked up.

I cam outside to find a cart had hit my car, no big deal i thought so i moved it and left.

Got home and after the rain let up I was able to see a football sized dent where the cart had hit.

The parking lot was littered with carts and Im sure more than one car was damaged.

Question is, is walmart at fault? I had a buyer lined up for the car but he wants the dent to be fixed first.

What are my options?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:48 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Liability Question

Wal-mart can not be held liable in this instance. If you read the signs over the cart corrals, it will state the same. Customers place the carts in the parking lot and are therefore responsible -- you would need to catch the person who left the cart there and then prove negligence.

Talk to a few dent places and tell them upfront that you are paying out of pocket, the price may be reduced. Otherwise, your car insurance's collision deductible should cover it.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Big Poppa

hovocx hovocx hovocx

Originally Posted by Not Stock
Wal-mart can not be held liable in this instance. If you read the signs over the cart corrals, it will state the same. Customers place the carts in the parking lot and are therefore responsible -- you would need to catch the person who left the cart there and then prove negligence.

so according to waht their sign says in the parking lot..... I can wear a shirt that says "I am not liable for anything I shoplift" and get away with it
Old 05-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Kicking Ass

Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T

That'd be fucking awesome.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:33 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Not sure why you would think that a retailer should be liable for the actions of its customers.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:22 PM
semicolonD.net

eclpsed eclpsed

they own the lot, and hte carts they also have people haired to get in carts only, i know this cause i use to work at one.. they have 2-3 people on the clock at all times to get in carts. however it walmart will still do nothing about ur car, sorry about ur luck man, if you ask me i think it should be the cart getters job to get inthe carts or they are liable for the damages but this isnt how it is.... suckie..

best bet, say something fell offa truck while you were on the highway make sure you say the object never stoped moving fell off the truck and hit you, if it stops and you hit it, it's ur fault and they'll make you pay to fix it. (if it's close to the front) and ur ins should cover teh damage....note, i didnt tell you to do this.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Big Poppa

hovocx hovocx hovocx

Originally Posted by eclpsed
they own the lot, and hte carts they also have people haired to get in carts only, i know this cause i use to work at one.. they have 2-3 people on the clock at all times to get in carts. however it walmart will still do nothing about ur car, sorry about ur luck man, if you ask me i think it should be the cart getters job to get inthe carts or they are liable for the damages but this isnt how it is.... suckie..

you would think
Old 05-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Settled..

ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN

Go to Pepboys and buy a Ding King... It works pretty well.

If you dont feel comfortable send me a PM and Ill do it for a quick $20. The results are ok but the $100 at Dent Wizard will make it perfect if they can get to it.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Big Poppa

hovocx hovocx hovocx

i can pop it out myself, its nnot in a bad spot, just a pain to do
Old 05-30-2004, 01:26 PM
semicolonD.net

eclpsed eclpsed

yea, i saw some old lady today at wal-mart putting a cart on the crub beside my car later night at wal-mart... i bitched and told her to move it, and to learn to respect other peoples cars.... grr some people just dont care.