Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Inspection question -- Windshield cracks

Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inspection question -- Windshield cracks

My Suburban has two cracks in the windshield, just line cracks, not stars or anything. They do not intersect. They are on the passenger side coming up from the bottom, I'm not sure of the exact height but less than halfway up the windshield. One starts from the outside bottom corner of the PS, the other from the inside edge of the PS windshield wiper approximately. Probably some defect, as it was installed back in December or January and there's no rock chips.

After reading the inspection laws, I can't tell if these will pass or not.

7. There is a pit, chip, or star crack larger than 3/4 inch in diameter at any location in the windshield above the topmost portion of the steering wheel except the two-inch border at the top and the one-inch border at each side.

8. At any location above the topmost portion of the steering wheel excluding a two-inch border at the top and one-inch border at the sides there is:

a. Any crack over 1/4 inch in width.

b. Any crack 1/4 inch or less in width intersected by another crack.

c. Any damage area 3/4 inch or less in diameter if within three inches of any other damage area.
None are over 1/4" in width (They're just straight lines), and they don't intersect, and I don't believe they ever get within 3" of each other (Not sure though). I'm inclined to say they will, and it'd be nice if they would because it expires this month, but I'd rather be late than have to deal with a failed sticker.

Thanks guys

-Andy
Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Some_Day has disabled reputation
Default Re: Inspection question -- Windshield cracks

i want to say it wont pass but im not certain. i had one maybe 6" long going horizontal once and i asked him before the inspection if it would fail and he said yes. it sounds as if you'd eventually need to get it fixed so you might as well do it now and save yourself the hassle of going only to find out if would fail
Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I'll definitely get it fixed I just don't want to have to ride around with an expired inspection until then....
Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

by 1/3 inch in width they mean the length of the crack. a basic rule is if it cant be covered by a quarter(coin) then it should be failed. every inspector is differant though.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Registered member

GripSpec has disabled reputation

Where i work if its longer than a finger it usually fails.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:17 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

its soley up to the discretion of the inspector, but most go by:

star chips with one leg longer than 2", a crack that goes from one end to the other, or you can move pieces of glass in relation to one another.

quick test: try to catch your fingernail on the crack. if you can, it will fail. if not, most of the time it will pass.

glass rules in the handbook are vague and contradictory, and our trooper in charge basically leaves it to the judgement of the tech.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

I was hoping you would reply seeing as I know you're one person I know would know.

I'll have to go by and talk to a local tech and see. The glass is not cracked end to end and will not move in relation to each other (Its only one layer of the glass not both), and you can not catch it with your fingernail, I tried to do that already. Since its not a star chip and its just a straight crack I'm guessing its perhaps acceptable that they're about 12" long?

Either way, I know I need to get it fixed, I just would like to buy a little time. I'll hopefuly go by the shop that installed it today to figure out if they'll replace it for me or if there crappy install means I have to claim another on insurance.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Better Then That!

Jennie is an unknown quantity at this point

im not sure how your area is but i had a PS crack in my windshield on my 96 Mustang. they told me as long as it didnt move over to the DS i'd be fine but needed to get it replaced asap.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

95lsintegra is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate Va inspections..i got failed by a tech at my own work over tires..bunch of bs..so me and this other dude swapped rims the same day and i got it re-inspected and they were kinda mad bc they knew the rims werent mine..I almost got fired over the whole thing..so basically fuck va inspections.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by 95lsintegra
I hate Va inspections..i got failed by a tech at my own work over tires..bunch of bs..so me and this other dude swapped rims the same day and i got it re-inspected and they were kinda mad bc they knew the rims werent mine..I almost got fired over the whole thing..so basically fuck va inspections.

dont like it?

move to another state. otherwise, quit bitching on the internet about it.