Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Fence stuff, Sunday and/or Monday anyone?

Old 10-15-2005, 04:47 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Lightbulb Fence stuff, Sunday and/or Monday anyone?

Let me know if you are interested in helping with the fence stuff Saturday afternoon, Sunday all day, or Monday all day. I'll need to rent the post hole digger at $100/day. Plan is to dig the holes with the hydraulic auger (can be a 1 person job) plop in a fence post, mix up some Quicrete (just add water, stir), put it in the hole, level out the post. Not bad, but there's 29 of them!

Reply here, send PM, e-mail, or call. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:08 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Lightbulb Re: Fence stuff, Sunday and/or Monday anyone?

Gonna do fence stuff starting on Monday morning at about 9a. Weather expected to be great! $8/hr for those who want to help mix the Quicrete with me, it's gonna be work. Oh yeah, pizza lunch too.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

Fear This Fear This
Default Re: Fence stuff, Sunday and/or Monday anyone?

Go to the daily plannet by VCU in your truck and laborers will be happy to hop in the back. I do it all the time.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Wow Ian has posted since like 2003.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:52 PM
superuser

Bump.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Air Cooled Junkie

Squishy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hint for you.. if you want to make it easy setting the posts, dig the hole, set the post in, and then fill the hole with water. Then just pour the quickcrete in the hole at a not-too-fast pace, until it fills the hole up. No mixing, and it will set up quite well. MUCH easier than spooning that mess in after it's been mixed. I've done a million of them.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:34 PM
superuser

Originally Posted by Squishy
Hint for you.. if you want to make it easy setting the posts, dig the hole, set the post in, and then fill the hole with water. Then just pour the quickcrete in the hole at a not-too-fast pace, until it fills the hole up. No mixing, and it will set up quite well. MUCH easier than spooning that mess in after it's been mixed. I've done a million of them.
Thanks. Will try this method. There is a pallet of over 2000# of Quicrete in my garage. That's a helluva lot of stuff. The ground is mostly clay after 4" so I'm not worried about water seeping out. Was planning to keep the concrete a few inches (maybe 3") below the ground surface for looks. Thoughts?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Air Cooled Junkie

Squishy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup.. when it sets up, you can cover it with dirt and grass it up, if that's your plan.

The idea here is that ALL the concrete and rocks will sink down as you pour it and not stratify too badly, and you can be sure that if you do the water in the hole first, all the concrete will wet properly, so long as you pace yourself pouring it in. Wear a dustmask or make sure you are upwind as you pour it in.

I bury posts 18" for about everything I do. A couple inches less concrete is not going to matter. Go for it. Recommend renting an auger for that many posts too.

Last edited by Squishy; 10-16-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:02 PM
superuser

Lightbulb Re: Fence stuff, Sunday and/or Monday anyone?

Originally Posted by Squishy
Recommend renting an auger for that many posts too.
Sunbelt Rentals out by PAS has an auger at $100+ per day. Engine balances the see-saw type with pivot at the two wheels.

Very similar to the following picture:

Doing about 29 holes, this should come in very handy!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

dks2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fear This
Go to the daily plannet by VCU in your truck and laborers will be happy to hop in the back. I do it all the time.

i thought they were gone? i have some yard projects that i could use some cheap help....