Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WRX RalliSpec Gear set?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM
The Rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo_Dreams
Default Re: WRX RalliSpec Gear set?

Also i know WRX's are tanks on the top end, but what kind of performance can i expect from one, with or without the Gearset
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

actually, only the lower gears are straight cut. So yeah...around town they will whine...but hwy cruises, they won't. But that depends on the set that you get.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How loud the whine is and what frequency depends on the tooth pitch and tooth profile, and obviously main/countershaft RPM. I've heard loud straight cut sets and quiet ones. A lot of motorcycles have straight cuts and they aren't that bad..
Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Turbo_Dreams
Also i know WRX's are tanks on the top end, but what kind of performance can i expect from one, with or without the Gearset

who told you that nonsense? LOL

lets put it this way...do you think type r's have good top end? how about s2000's?

if you think these cars have good topend, then a wrx with the stock turbo and some basic bolts on's will undoubtly walk these cars uptop.

with that being said, topend is very relative.

like i said, depending on the gearset...some will hinder topend performance, some will help it. You would have to look at the final drive and respective ratio's in order to asses which you would want to sacrifice.

the stock wrx ratios arnt the best for topend with stock turbo, because the 4th gear is rather tall. But if you have the power, then 4th gear becomes your pull gear ^_^
Old 02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

Originally Posted by JKim
who told you that nonsense? LOL

lets put it this way...do you think type r's have good top end? how about s2000's?

if you think these cars have good topend, then a wrx with the stock turbo and some basic bolts on's will undoubtly walk these cars uptop.

with that being said, topend is very relative.

like i said, depending on the gearset...some will hinder topend performance, some will help it. You would have to look at the final drive and respective ratio's in order to asses which you would want to sacrifice.

the stock wrx ratios arnt the best for topend with stock turbo, because the 4th gear is rather tall. But if you have the power, then 4th gear becomes your pull gear ^_^
in my opinion hondas have no top end. And no im not talknig crap about hondas i liek them, there just not interstate cars, im sorry. And JKim whats you opinion on gearsets and what kind i should get. Also iv heard that straight cut gears are harder to shift into, they require a "swift and firm shift"
Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Shifting depends on the tooth pitch and tooth profile too. It's going to vary for each type of gearset and each ratio set. Are you sure you're not thinking of a straight cut sequential (dog) tranny instead of a synchro'd tranny? Dog boxes aren't the most graceful to shift usually, and usually take a bit more force because everything is heavier and less refined.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 PM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Shifting depends on the tooth pitch and tooth profile too. It's going to vary for each type of gearset and each ratio set. Are you sure you're not thinking of a straight cut sequential (dog) tranny instead of a synchro'd tranny? Dog boxes aren't the most graceful to shift usually, and usually take a bit more force because everything is heavier and less refined.
Yea i think thats what they were talking about. but a Straight cut syncro tranny , that will work fine on the street and for everyday driving?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Racetracks

Yeah, it will work great. The hard shifting you were talking about is from having no synchros. A synchro'd straight cut cluster will be pretty much the same as what you have now, just a little more vibration and noise. That's just the nature of the beast. It should still shift great if it's designed properly.