Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WRX ot not?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Raptor Jesus Loves U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idrum2loud has disabled reputation
Default WRX ot not?

I have been out of the car scene for awhile. I have drifted and owned a lot of cars, but never a WRX. I want one for a daily and maybe a weekend cone killer. Anyone have any testimonials about the car reliability and maintenance wise? I want to know how others feel about the car before i get one. thanks! Its a 2002 WRX by the way. thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada
Default Re: WRX ot not?

wow you drifted?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/possibly-getting-02-wrx-235998/
Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

the car i most regret getting rid of is my wrx, when i can afford to get another one. I will. Was the nicest cross beetween fun to drive, feels really solid and safe and is a good looking car. definitely get one.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of

seriously 05 maybe the best year imo for both sti and wrx.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

^ I hear the 06s have the best trannys.

But im guessing you want an 02 bugeye because of the price and Im pretty much exactly that.

I am VERY happy I bought this car. Its quick (about to be much quicker), roomy (good since you want one as a daily), and with a few upgrades it can be made into a very fun "cone killer".

Whats good about the WRX in stock form is the fact that with an uppipe and turboback I was hitting FULL boost at ~2800-2900 rpm...which is pretty good as far as turbocharged cars go and even better because you plan to autocross it.

BUT...the stock tranny sucks....seriously.

And here is a Copy/Paste from the other thread about this that JKim posted which includes tranny info:

There very stout cars and can be extremely fun.

Like was stated above, the stock air box is suffecient, but you can go with a spt short ram or something if youd like.

Most CAI screw with A/Fs but with a tune, that can be fixed.

A VF34 or 39 are very reliable turbo upgrades. Your best bet would be a VF43 though, but it tends to be a little more pricey than the afformentioned turbos (~200-300 more).

Any of those turbos, STI pink injectors, intercooler, and some sort of tune and your in the 300awhp range and very reliable. Water/Meth injection helps up the power a bit as well.

If you tranny breaks there are a few good options. Anderwtech makes a "aftermarket factory" type gearbox thats very affordable. It uses Legacy GT 1-2 gears and 04-05 WRX 3-4-5 gears. This is the gear box i have in my car...it cost me around 2300 built, shipped, and installed by All Aspects.

The other 2 options are a little more pricey.

The RA gears are a good option, costing a tad more than the LGT box but if heard some horror stories about the RAs so i wont suggest them to you.

Your best bet would be the PPG gearbox which uses a straight cut 1-2 and helical 3-4-5 and there bullet proof at ~300AWHP (given you can drive). The only problem is that its the most expensive box.

Overall, if you dont beat the hell out of it, youll be fine, and run 12s daily

Now, with all that said....try searching next time...theres plenty of threads that have been made about these cars already.

Last edited by Muncher; 05-18-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Raptor Jesus Loves U

Originally Posted by NismoSE-R
wow you drifted?
Yea I ran at drift 411 and lookout drift events. Cost too much and got in trouble too much

I want the bugeye cuz its the only front end I like.... Money too. Thanks for the post's. Man this place is still full of nazi's huh? The point of a forum is to post and converse. If i wanted to search i would have used google.

Last edited by idrum2loud; 05-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

The point of a forum IS to converse....but not about the same subject 2-3 times a week.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Raptor Jesus Loves U

well i havnt been up here in forever and if i don't see any immediate post's about a topic in the first few pages of a forum...iam assuming its hasn't been talked about recently.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 AM
I Mierda en usted!

z-dotcom has disabled reputation

All year wrx's have shit trannies, best year is 05, has the revised syncros and etc, 06 wrx is the best year WRX hands down. 2.5 liter, Aluminum LCA's, 4 pot brakes, and a workable ECU with no hidden bugs unlike the 07's. If youve got the money, Buy An EVO hands down. Much better bang for the buck and if you wanted to take it to the next level its not gonna cost that much. If you just want a nice daily then hell get a Suby there nice cars. $500 can get you in the 12's with an 06.
Things that were mentioned which are incorrect.
#1: If you buy an 05 wrx you basically have a "RA" gear set which is nothing but the JDM 5 speed Sti. The gears are still shit and will brake as quickly as stock.
#2: VF43/VF39/VF34 are practically the same exact turbo, one will not be ANY better then the other, if you get a WRX buy the cheapest one you can find, expect around 320whp (With an 06WRX) Probably 290-300whp(with a 05-02) Even though supposedly a Vf34 spools slightly quicker then a Vf39(Us Spec Sti 04-06) And the VF43 has a better more controllable wastegate (07 Sti's and up)
#3: Any 2.0liter WRX is going to leave you wanting more. You have a Crappy Engine that will pop at 350whp, You have no TQ, the heads are shit, and the transmission is still weak as hell. If your going to get one buy an 06!

Just dont buy a Sti, there a waste of fucking money =\. Just drive each one, a 2.0liter wrx, 2.5liter wrx, An STi, and an EVO. Compare, decide. Just know 02-05 wrx = Crap tranny, crap engine, Have to buy an Upipipe,Downpipe,Catback,Tune,injectors,Turbo,Fuel Pump,Intercooler etc etc to run 12's. 06 Buy a Downpipe, tune it run 12's on meth/race gas. Or just buy a downpipe an Sti turbo and tune it and you can get into the 12's on pump with your stock intercooler running around 16psi (which is fine for the stock topmount)

Last edited by z-dotcom; 05-19-2008 at 12:27 AM.