Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Possibly getting a '02 WRX...

Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 PM
I <3 KARMA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resideinVA has disabled reputation
Default Possibly getting a '02 WRX...

ive been looking around for awhile and finally went and test drove an 02 today and i loved it to say the least. ive have been online researching and reading reviews and anything you could think of on the car ALLLL DAY!
i know quite a few ppl on here own or have owned WRXs and i was wondering what kind of problems you have run into? ive read differnt stories on the transmissions but it seems its kind of hit or miss and more than likely a result of dogging the shit out of them.
the car seemed to be solid and drove like theres no tomorrow. No fluid leaks, misses, weird noises or and thing like that. Its completely stock and has somewhat high mileage 93k = / but its at a fairly decent price. Im just trying to get a better understanding of the car and the common problems before i spend the money and possibly end up regretting it
Old 05-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation
Default Re: Possibly getting a '02 WRX...

I've owned one and i can tell you that they are solid vehicles.

Yeah, the transmission is a bit weak for the potential power levels that the motor can reach but as long as you don't slam/launch the car all the time it will hold.

What are your plans for it? I think once we figure that out, i can give you better pros/cons.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I <3 KARMA!

yeah thats kind of what i thought. ive definetly read far more good things than bad.

But for my plans, just basic bolt ons really its going to be my daily so i need to keep it reliable yet still be able to have some fun with it safely. so the basic header, exhaust, downpipe, uppipe, front mount, turbo upgrade, and what is the best/safest level of boost to run a stock motor at? ive read 16 in a few places
Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by resideinVA
yeah thats kind of what i thought. ive definetly read far more good things than bad.

But for my plans, just basic bolt ons really its going to be my daily so i need to keep it reliable yet still be able to have some fun with it safely. so the basic header, exhaust, downpipe, uppipe, front mount, turbo upgrade, and what is the best/safest level of boost to run a stock motor at? ive read 16 in a few places
Boost means nothing. Next time, ask something like this..."How much power can the stock motor take?"

Well, the 2.0 is weaker than the 2.5's. But don't let that discourage you. There have been many people who put down 350hp+ to the wheels. The last time i checked (which was like a year ago) someone put down 399 to the wheels on a stock 2.0. So i'd imagine 400 is somewhere out there.

But like i said before, the tranny won't hold that kind of power. Simply because the 2.0 makes just as much torque as hp, so 400ft/lbs at the wheels will destroy the gears.

The car will be plenty fun with a medium size turbo upgrade. It will be reliable too as long as you have the proper tune to accommodate the mods. In my opinion, you can't spend enough money on tuning. That means, get the most versatile and supported engine management out there ( you will have to research it)...and tune it yourself or get the best tuner you can find.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

We have some great tuners within driving distance too:

Hill @ Agile AND Phil @ Element are two of the best tuners in the country and there within a few hours (north) of HR.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I <3 KARMA!

well the place im buying it from offers an extended bumper to bumper warranty so i do plan on purchasing that if its not to ridiculously priced according to how limited it is.

but ill keep the tuning in mind.

come on! i know alot of ppl own these cars! the more info and input on the subject the better
Old 05-04-2008, 07:33 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

you dont need a header. you dont need a CAI. you dont need a catback, unless you want sound.

catless uppipe, a downpipe (catted or not, up to you), pull the resonator and use the stock air box, and a flash will get you a very giggly feeling reliably. that will be less than a grand total.

dont buy the extended warranty, take the money you would spend on that and buy a CD or something, if you are going to mod it the warranty will not cover anything anyway.

a VF34 is a nice turbo upgrade, i would do a larger TMIC if i were to use a 34 since it is very responsive. either STi pinks or mod the factory injectors for that, a 255lph in the tank and you will be in the 300whp range then.

dont do a hard launch on them, it will break. i have broken a couple of trannies in them, and its not cheap and/or fun to repair. if they do break, go with the RA gearset, it is VERY nice, you can actually do a second gear roll start with them.

a flash is the fastest and easiest way to go for a tune, if you are not capable of doing it. i do not advise someone who does not know what they are doing to go with a UTEC, AEM, or piggyback if they do not understand the engine.

a flash or ACCESSPORT is good for most people.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Becareful of what you buy. I can't count how many times I have had customers come in with problems because they bought someone else's issue and they didn't look the car over.

Look it over very well and take it to a good Subaru tech and have them look it over. Expect to pay for this service as well. I just got another customer with a used WRX that needs a motor. Just becareful of what you get.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I <3 KARMA!

Originally Posted by fc735
you dont need a header. you dont need a CAI. you dont need a catback, unless you want sound.

catless uppipe, a downpipe (catted or not, up to you), pull the resonator and use the stock air box, and a flash will get you a very giggly feeling reliably. that will be less than a grand total.

dont buy the extended warranty, take the money you would spend on that and buy a CD or something, if you are going to mod it the warranty will not cover anything anyway.

a VF34 is a nice turbo upgrade, i would do a larger TMIC if i were to use a 34 since it is very responsive. either STi pinks or mod the factory injectors for that, a 255lph in the tank and you will be in the 300whp range then.

dont do a hard launch on them, it will break. i have broken a couple of trannies in them, and its not cheap and/or fun to repair. if they do break, go with the RA gearset, it is VERY nice, you can actually do a second gear roll start with them.

a flash is the fastest and easiest way to go for a tune, if you are not capable of doing it. i do not advise someone who does not know what they are doing to go with a UTEC, AEM, or piggyback if they do not understand the engine.

a flash or ACCESSPORT is good for most people.
thank you!
this is the kind of responses ive been looking for. i dont plan on doing hard launches anyways so breaking things wont be as much of a risk
and with the warranty, thats what i partly meant when i said depending on how limited it is.

what other kinds of problems have you run into or heard about besides the tranny?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:01 AM
I <3 KARMA!

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Becareful of what you buy. I can't count how many times I have had customers come in with problems because they bought someone else's issue and they didn't look the car over.

Look it over very well and take it to a good Subaru tech and have them look it over. Expect to pay for this service as well. I just got another customer with a used WRX that needs a motor. Just becareful of what you get.
oh i am. ive been victim to buying a shit tank car once before. its not fun AT ALL.
i looked it over i didnt see any kind of leak, ticks or knocks or other random sounds. it idles perfect and went through every gear flawlessly. but now that you said that ill be sure to have it looked over thoroughly by someone who knows what theyre really looking at
i talked to the guy and pretty much every little thing i mentioned that i said i wanted changed he said he would and it wouldnt be a problem

Quick Reply: Possibly getting a '02 WRX...