Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Virginia Gas Prices

Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Virginia Gas Prices

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
We'll go out on a limb and say you use 30 gallons a gas a week. That's roughly $125 a year you will miss, big deal.
$0.44/gal for taxes at 30 gallons per week for a year is $686.40 paid for gas taxes alone. I miss that money. Now think of how much tractor trailer drivers pay yearly in gas taxes. If the avg guy drives 125k miles per year with a rig that gets 6 mpg and pays $0.44/gal in taxes, that's over $9100 in gas taxes -- per driver! With all of the trucks I see on the road, I'd say it's a pretty big deal.

Last edited by Computer_Nerd; 03-02-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
OG from 2000

SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94

Gas prices in Hampton Roads are still some of the cheapest you can find, and thats with a significant portion already being state tax. I'm willing to live with a couple bumps on I-264 than have gas prices going up AND adding tolls to the local bridges. A toll at the HRBT is the most ridiculous thing I can think of. What part of bringing traffic to a complete halt even before the slamming of the brakes approaching the tunnel = less congestion? It will be years and years before enough is raised to build a 3rd crossing and another few years for it to be built. The peninsula and the southside will once again be two different worlds.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Wii
Retired OG

Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii

I paid 93' Prem $2.18 @ Newport News today!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered member

AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx

They sould get rid of some more speed bumps on highway 64
Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Im here for the beer

CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun

Senate Bill 708 Would Hike Gas Tax and More

Transportation in Virginia is a hot button issue that has everyone wondering how to resolve it.

Lawmakers in the General Assembly seem to think a resolution would come from a tax hike.

A bill has passed the Senate and is now in the House of Delegates for review. Senate bill 708 would raise taxes at the pump to pay for transportation.

The owner of a local gas station is making sure his customers know about the bill.

Right now, Virginians pay 37.4% on each gallon of gas pumped. It may seem like a lot, but Maryland drivers pay 41.9% on each gallon of gas, and in North Carolina it is 43%.

If the Senate bill passes, it will raise car registration fees, gas taxes by 5%, and tack on $.17 to diesel fuel taxes.

Since the bill has only passed in the Senate, there is still time for you to contact your local representative and voice your opinion. The number is 1-800-889-0229.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by CarsRFun
Right now, Virginians pay 37.4% on each gallon of gas pumped. It may seem like a lot, but Maryland drivers pay 41.9% on each gallon of gas, and in North Carolina it is 43%.
This doesn't really help your stance much. We have a low rate already, we are going to be taxed on stuff no matter what. As you see, we are below our neighbor's.

Everyone should also know that with the $.08 tax hike, the you will be eligible for a refund. Keep your receipts and send them in and you'll get a check. Once everyone sees how little money you will get in return, you might start realizing its not such a bad idea.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by Not Stock
$0.44/gal for taxes at 30 gallons per week for a year is $686.40 paid for gas taxes alone. I miss that money. Now think of how much tractor trailer drivers pay yearly in gas taxes. If the avg guy drives 125k miles per year with a rig that gets 6 mpg and pays $0.44/gal in taxes, that's over $9100 in gas taxes -- per driver! With all of the trucks I see on the road, I'd say it's a pretty big deal.
Hey dumbass, try doing your math again or reading better. They are not raising the tax $.44/gal, they are only raising it $.08/gal. Try doing your calculations a little better next time so you don't sound so stupid.

With your situation, the trucker would only be paying $1666 more a year. Far cry from the $9100 you say. Not only that but the extra money is available in a refund form that you know for a fact all the trucking companies will definitely keep track of this so they will hardly be losing anything.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Im here for the beer

CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun

not my stance.. just pasted info from new article..

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
This doesn't really help your stance much. We have a low rate already, we are going to be taxed on stuff no matter what. As you see, we are below our neighbor's.

Everyone should also know that with the $.08 tax hike, the you will be eligible for a refund. Keep your receipts and send them in and you'll get a check. Once everyone sees how little money you will get in return, you might start realizing its not such a bad idea.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:16 AM
He's like the wind

It's all good