Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Good article on why gas prices don't always correlate wtih oil prices

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Good article on why gas prices don't always correlate wtih oil prices

Are Gasoline and Crude Oil Price Patterns Actually Diverging?

Recently, we at EIA have received many inquiries about why gasoline retail prices have been rising compared to the New York Mercantile Exchange’s (NYMEX’s) reported price of crude oil. The national media have also run several prominent stories on this divergence in prices. In particular, EIA’s reported average retail price of regular gasoline in the United States rose from $1.61 to $1.96 between December 29th and February 16th. During the same period, NYMEX’s most reported price for crude oil was volatile, but had no clear upward trend. So what’s going on?

Before addressing the question, it’s worth just a moment to discuss what, exactly, NYMEX’s most reported price really is. NYMEX is a futures exchange, where different traders can buy and sell a very particular type of oil for many months out into the future. The particular type of oil is called “West Texas Intermediate” or “WTI” for short. WTI is light, sweet crude, with low sulfur content and relatively high yields of high-value products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, and jet fuel. Most futures contracts never go to delivery, but they can, and when they do they must be delivered to Cushing, Oklahoma. As a result, the NYMEX futures price inevitably reflects local conditions in Cushing, as well as larger market trends. Of course, WTI is only one kind of crude oil in a world full of trading that takes place for many types of oil.

Now, two main factors account for the recent divergence in prices. The first is that—generally speaking—oil prices have been rising, even though a local supply glut at Cushing has depressed prices at that location, and, therefore, on NYMEX. Even though the financial press, EIA, and others often cite the NYMEX price, WTI is not the only kind of oil used in the United States to produce gasoline. Not by a long shot. So, it turns out that price rises for other crude oils used to make U.S. gasoline account for about half the rise in U.S. wholesale gasoline prices between December 29th and February 16th . Figure 1 shows the effect of looking at imported crude oil prices instead of focusing only on the depressed WTI price. The composite price labeled “Average Spot Prices of U.S. Imported Crudes” used by U.S. refiners is compared to both WTI and to another international benchmark, Brent. (Brent is light, sweet North Sea crude that is usually refined in Northwest Europe but can be shipped to the United States or the Mediterranean.) The composite, which represents roughly two-thirds of crude input to U.S. refineries, rose by over $8 per barrel since late December, and matches U.S. consumers’ experiences at the pump much more closely.

The second key factor driving recent gasoline prices arises from changes in the balance of gasoline supply and demand. Just as there is a crude oil market, there is a wholesale gasoline market as well. Nothing forces the two markets to operate in lockstep. After all, crude oil makes a complex array of products in addition to gasoline, so the overall supply and demand for crude oil differs from the supply and demand of gasoline alone. Different conditions of supply and demand for gasoline versus crude oil can affect their prices. The “gross gasoline margin,” which we will define as the difference between the wholesale (spot) price of gasoline and the spot price of crude oil, is a key indicator of divergent conditions between the two markets. Except for a period immediately after hurricanes Gustav and Ike, U.S. gasoline markets in 2008 saw weak margins because gasoline was better-supplied relative to demand than crude oil was. Figure 2 shows gross gasoline margins along the Gulf Coast measured against the WTI and Brent benchmarks from the beginning of November 2008 through mid-February. Both calculations show the same directional trend, but the disconnect between WTI and other crude markets means the WTI-based gross gasoline margin increases more and faster. During November and December, the wholesale price of gasoline actually fell below the price of crude oil (measured by volume) paid by many refiners; not a financially sustainable situation for refiners in the long term.

So, how could refiners afford to make gasoline with those margins? Throughout 2008, gross distillate fuel margins were strong even as gross gasoline margins were weak, which encouraged refiners to modify their operations to make more distillate and less gasoline from the same crude oil. Refinery maintenance in January 2009 further contributed to a reduction in the supply of gasoline. As supply fell relative to demand, gross gasoline margins increased in 2009, increasing retail gasoline prices at the same time.

In summary, gasoline prices have been rising both because of rising crude oil prices and because gasoline margins have increased since late December. Gasoline prices through the spring of 2009 will continue to depend on gross gasoline margins resulting from the gasoline supply/demand balance and on overall crude oil market conditions. However, as long as oil inventories at Cushing remain very high, the NYMEX WTI price you are likely to hear about in the press may remain a misleading indicator.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Good article on why gas prices don't always correlate wtih oil prices

I can safely say I never thought I'd learn a single thing on VADriven. You sir, have proven me wrong.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Good article on why gas prices don't always correlate wtih oil prices

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
I can safely say I never thought I'd learn a single thing on VADriven. You sir, have proven me wrong.
You aren't reading the right stuff apparently.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You aren't reading the right stuff apparently.
Agreed, I seem to get bogged down in the following:
  • "I got caught speeding"
  • "I got caught with an exhaust ticket"
  • "Where do I get tint?"
  • "Fuck the GTR"
  • "Tech thread: something about hondas"
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yep, that's a good summary.

You forgot my favorite eye-rolling thread topics:
  • Calling out some guy in a Civic who beat me last night
  • I tried to race a guy in a Ferrari but he must have been scared of my Sentra
  • If you don't race me I'm going to beat your ass
  • Let's settle this like real men by street racing
  • I got caught street racing, am I going to die in jail?

And let's not forget:
  • Can I turbo an LS?
  • How do I make an LS/VTEC?
  • I think my eBay turbo is bad

And my favorite thread replies:
  • My buddy's car had a problem like that. It was _____. That has to be the problem.
  • That's not fast. I know a guy with a ______ that's waaay faster.
  • Cliff's Notes?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-05-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered member

vtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these partsvtecderek is infamous around these parts

cliff notes?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by vtecderek
cliff notes?
No stupid... read it. If you can't read it and comprehend it then go back to school.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
my name is andy.

Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks

What if I'm in school. Can I get cliffs?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by Fiziks
What if I'm in school. Can I get cliffs?
No... read it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671

I'm gonna have to reread that when I'm not tired, cause right now that looks like Greek to me

Quick Reply: Good article on why gas prices don't always correlate wtih oil prices