Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

very noobular question

Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runya Runya Runya Runya
Default very noobular question

this goes out to the rx-7 guys out there.

i have done alot of researcing and found out some information but none really to help me. let me mind you that its already night time and i have no garage and the ground is still marshy. so dont flame me cause ive done the most i can do untill tomarrow.

this afternoon i was driving my 1987 rx-7. theres really been ZERO problems with it wat so ever. it only has 120XXX miles. no noise. no nothing. almost perfect running. just a bad paint job.

well as i was driving, i stop at a light. sit there normally and as i take off it stalls on me. i cant remember when was the last time i stalled. so i was like hmm. so i try to crank it back up. and thats all it does. cranks. it cranks and cranks and cranks but no fire. so im like wtf. so i get out push the car over to the shoulder and try to crank it one more time. so i assumed that the car flooded. i havent had any expericance with a car flooding. i've read that rx7s flood if you move it short distances and not let the car warm up to operating temperatures. keep in mind i have been driving all day. it was a warm day today and engine temp was normal. this all happened out of the blue. so on the side of the road, i start reading my haynes manual. i also assumed it was my coils that fucked up on me. so i get my fluke meater out and check the resistance on the leading and trailing coils. in the book it says the resistnace should be between 0.2 - 1 ohms. the leading read as 0.5 ohm. and the trailing read as 0.8 ohm. so i again assume the coils are fine. i might sound stupid but i kinda forgot how to so a spark test on the plugs. like. with out the timing light. so now i call the tow truck to come and get me and he takes me home. when i get home. i check for a fuel leak and everything is fine. tomarrow i am considering changing the fuel filter, if that helps, and maby check the fuel pump. all im asking is what could possibly stall out the car in the middle of the day without being driven hard? all answers are appreaciated
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru
Default Re: very noobular question

spark plugs tell a lot about the performance of an engine. its always a good place to start to remove the spark plugs and read their condition. you can do a search on the internet to find write-ups on how to read a spark plug's condition. that could lead you to knowing very quickly if there is too much fuel or not enough. you can go from there down your path to diagnosis. also, with the plugs out, its real easy to test if you actually have spark as all you do is keep the wire on the plug and touch the threaded section of the plug to something grounded and watch as you have someone crank the car over (always a good idea to pull the fuse for the fuel pump when doing this though, if you have the plugs out of the head).

i'm no rotary guy, but thats where i'd start.
then maybe do a compression test while i have the plugs out
then maybe pull a fuel line off and get a fuel sample and check fuel flow at the same time - checks the condition of the filter and the pump at 1 time

don't rotaries consist of a rats nest of vacuum lines?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

put a fresh set of plugs in the right places, then see if it starts. if not, run further tests to verify which system has failed.

you cant accurately do a comp test on a rotary, you can pull the schraeder out of your gauge and watch the pulses, but thats about it.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Runya Runya Runya Runya

i took the spark plugs out and there burned. the thing is there about 3 months old and there ngk r. idk maby ill look into it more. when i get home from school imma see if i neeed new coils in general
Old 02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru

Originally Posted by fc735
you cant accurately do a comp test on a rotary, you can pull the schraeder out of your gauge and watch the pulses, but thats about it.
guess my knowledge about rotary's shows with not knowing that
Old 02-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Runya Runya Runya Runya

well i found out the prob. the spark plugs are bad. and imma need some new coils. dang man. but the fuel system is all a go. im just waiting to get my coils in the mail. thanks to those wwho helped
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

akaGeneyus has disabled reputation

glad you found the problem, i wonder how long its been since the plugs were changed? well the good thing is they are on the way out an newer ones in! GL