Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

"as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 AM
last breath first

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup
Default Re: "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

very true, I feel as if you purchase something from a dealer, that every little detail should be looked at and fixed accordingly. But I trust no one when it comes to buying cars. My mother purchased a brand new 08 nissan altima and after 3600 miles it caught on fire because of an electrical problem.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch
Default Re: "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
(mostly on VW's) when the oil pan was broken and the engine ran out of oil.
*gasp*

Say it isn't so?!?!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Revoking acceptance is not really applicable on a motor vehicle sale in the Commonwealth, because there is what is generally accepted as the "cooling off" period, which if I recall is 48hrs. I'll need to double check that when I get to the shop for the exact time period, but I think thats pretty close. Even still, the car was sold as is, and the customer is required to sign off on the Buyers Guide that states this. If the buyer was not given a Buyers Guide that stated "as is", then the sale was not legal and the dealer should take it back and just roll with it.
Like I said, it pretty much only exists in the land of sales law professors. I know one who did it and it actually worked for him, but really it was just they didn't want to deal with him, and he was willing to get a different car from them, plus it was a new car.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:27 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

If it was a $1500 or less car, I'd understand them not wanting to help because it was as-is. But if you paid close to $4k, I'd expect any reputable shop to back up their product and at the very least, perform the repair work at a fraction of the normal price. I'd go in there and be very respectful and state how you'd like them to make the situation right. If they refuse to help at all, I'd inform them that I plan to park the week old car right by the end of their driveway so I can warn every potential customer about that place.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

it doesnt matter what the price is...as-is means as-is...you think auctions offer to buy it back? its a chance that you take when you buy something used with no warranty and as-is...

ive watched a man spend 11000 on a kenworth truck at an auction..it had a locked up engine that he found out about after the fact

so the price doesnt have anything to do with it...if he signed the as-is buyers aggreement he is on his own...

NOW I AGREE that a reputable shop may/should/can try to help him out a little bit but i wouldnt expect it..
Old 12-25-2010, 12:07 PM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

If they had intentions of helping at all, they wouldn't have sold it as is. Just fix it, you can ask them, but I doubt they'll help, why would they? They sold it as is for a reason.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered member

Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi

Anything can be argued in court, whether it is expressed in writing on a contract or not. Stranger things have happened, but ultimately it is up to a judge to determine whether their was fraud or not. Contracts only hold so much merit.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Dogs

BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR

So how many miles were on the Outback?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

There isn't too much you can do. It's been awhile since I've owned my dealership, but upon start up, I had to learn all the basic legalities regarding issues such as this.

The car was purchased "As-Is", however, if you can prove that the dealer knew of this issue and did not disclose it to you prior to purchase, you would potentially have a case in court. ( I know that's a long shot, but worth a try)
Also if there were any issues with the contract that was signed, which made the sale illegal, it would null your obligation to this contract. (For instance if you were under 18 and had no co-signer)

Even if both of these do not help you, call the dealership and explain the situation without getting pissy. Is the dealer still not willing to help? Are they a member of VIADA? (Virginia Independent Automobile Dealers Association) Any member of VIADA will strive to keep their dealership in this organization and talks of complaints to VIADA and the MVDB ( Motor Vehicle Dealer Board) could make them think you know what you're talking about and persuade them to want to do the right thing. Although I operated on a shoe string budget, I know if I sold someone a car that blew a headgasket a week later, I'd work something out. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:35 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar

Originally Posted by H22A-DA
So how many miles were on the Outback?
fuckton... just shy of 190k. car seemed to be in great shape though. shiny paint, few dings, clean interior, smooth trans, etc.

Originally Posted by DickButt
There isn't too much you can do. It's been awhile since I've owned my dealership, but upon start up, I had to learn all the basic legalities regarding issues such as this.

The car was purchased "As-Is", however, if you can prove that the dealer knew of this issue and did not disclose it to you prior to purchase, you would potentially have a case in court. ( I know that's a long shot, but worth a try)
Also if there were any issues with the contract that was signed, which made the sale illegal, it would null your obligation to this contract. (For instance if you were under 18 and had no co-signer)

Even if both of these do not help you, call the dealership and explain the situation without getting pissy. Is the dealer still not willing to help? Are they a member of VIADA? (Virginia Independent Automobile Dealers Association) Any member of VIADA will strive to keep their dealership in this organization and talks of complaints to VIADA and the MVDB ( Motor Vehicle Dealer Board) could make them think you know what you're talking about and persuade them to want to do the right thing. Although I operated on a shoe string budget, I know if I sold someone a car that blew a headgasket a week later, I'd work something out. Good luck!
thanks for the advice. I'm not one to play hardball, but this situation just has me pissed off.

Quick Reply: "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles