Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

"as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

Old 12-25-2010, 05:07 AM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar
Default "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

I bought a 97 outback to use as a winter beater. I bought it monday after it test drove fine, took delivery tuesday night, and on friday I was getting overheats and all of my coolant blew out of the overflow. Now the coolant smells like exhaust. It sounds like the inner head gasket leak common on this generation of the ej25.

I know that since I bought it "as-is", that the dealer is not obligated to help me out, but considering it's been less than a week and I've put less than 200 miles on the car, how likely is it that the dealer will work with me? Is there any obscure law I can use to my advantage in this situation?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:09 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

no laws at all, had this happen with my camry. The "as is" takes away the lemon law.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:32 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles

caveat emptor
Old 12-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Registered member

00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ

I would have to agree with ShawnD. As soon as you sign the paperwork saying that you agree to buy the car as-is you are assuming all responsibilities of the car. It could have messed up on your way out the dealerships parking lot and there is nothing you could have done legaly.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

eh some places can work with people though. a larger dealership is willing to help out a little more. they wont fix it all, I wouldnt see why they wouldnt say pay 75% we got the rest or something.
I really dont see a smaller place like vest and sons in va beach to say yeah man we can work out something.
but they do not have a legal responsibility to do anything. so tread lightly and be kind. maybe bring a 6 pack.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:56 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by Roxtar
I bought a 97 outback to use as a winter beater. I bought it monday after it test drove fine, took delivery tuesday night, and on friday I was getting overheats and all of my coolant blew out of the overflow. Now the coolant smells like exhaust. It sounds like the inner head gasket leak common on this generation of the ej25.

I know that since I bought it "as-is", that the dealer is not obligated to help me out, but considering it's been less than a week and I've put less than 200 miles on the car, how likely is it that the dealer will work with me? Is there any obscure law I can use to my advantage in this situation?
the key words there are "as-is" that relieves the dealer of any and all issues/problems with vehicle...thats why you always test drive a car for hours..not around the block and back..
Old 12-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

take it to duane.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Originally Posted by nftuatn
the key words there are "as-is" that relieves the dealer of any and all issues/problems with vehicle...thats why you always test drive a car for hours..not around the block and back..
Some places will actually let you take the vehicle overnight. I know a friend of mine took a car home for the weekend and didn't even end up buying it. Had to laugh at that, but at least that particular dealer was willing to do that. I'll have to agree with most people up here on both things-be nice and courteous when dealing with said dealer about the problem, but don't be surprised if they're sticking to the "as-is" caveat.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:03 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by nftuatn
Unless maybe they made some representations to him that they knew to be false.

Another fun way is revoking acceptance, but that's something only done by sales law professors, and I doubt it would actually work in this kind of situation. Maybe if it had been the day you bought it, but not a couple of weeks.

Last edited by marlinspike; 12-25-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Unless maybe they made some representations to him that they knew to be false.
but if its not on paper its only hear-say and wont hold up in court...

is the correct court room etiquit(sp) richard???? lol

Quick Reply: "as-is" used car purchase from a dealer... problems in less than 200 miles