Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Tire is on backwards

Old 01-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbhondaeg has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tire is on backwards

my friend mounts his tires backwards and has found that on HIS CAR it gives the tires more life
Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 PM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jbhondaeg
my friend mounts his tires backwards and has found that on HIS CAR it gives the tires more life
huh? You're kidding right?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

Originally Posted by jbhondaeg
You mean he gets mounted backwards ?

Seriously though mounting a tire backwards can have serious consequences but it largely depends on the rims/style of driving
Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
AKA: SHY_GUY

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
hmmm, shouldn't be a problem with that few miles and driven gently. Once it's fixed, I bet it will sound quieter. Did you have an excessive tire noise? That's usually your first clue when this happens...

BTW, I take it you went to the Auto Show? It took me 6 hours to get through all of it in detail... Good times!!!

I actually spent a lot of time up stairs in the American section and was impressed by a few things, but downstairs was amazing!! I'm not sure how long I was there.

I stopped driving gently tonight, self-induced over-steer up a hill from a left turn at a light. Almost wrecked because these tires don't grip like the last set. As far as road noise..... I couldn't tell the last set were pretty loud. How cold is it?

And new topic same thread. When I got my 30k done last month my tires were at 5/32 and wearing fairly evenly. Last week they were at 0/32 in the middle and almost normal on the sides, I checked pressure and it was at 42psi! I called Honda and told them I think they did that to me they said they would pass it to the manager but I haven't heard anything..... I feel like they owe me a new set. Reasonable?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 AM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shy_guy98ex
And new topic same thread. When I got my 30k done last month my tires were at 5/32 and wearing fairly evenly. Last week they were at 0/32 in the middle and almost normal on the sides, I checked pressure and it was at 42psi! I called Honda and told them I think they did that to me they said they would pass it to the manager but I haven't heard anything..... I feel like they owe me a new set. Reasonable?
Did Williamsburg Honda do the 30K and mount/balence the tires? If so, I would think they owe you something. At least the cost of the fix, refund the the installation charge. If they did the work, call them up and ask for Pete. If he isn't there ask for Shayne Lockhart, he's the GM of the auto group.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 AM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by supraBoy
GOOD SHIT CALEB!!!

Glad i gave you the receipts then!!!
haha it wasnt yours... i mean i just worked on at my shop. lol.

but i ordered another rear shinko tire through EMC and shit, so i'll have it all straight soon
Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 PM

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Did Williamsburg Honda do the 30K and mount/balence the tires? If so, I would think they owe you something. At least the cost of the fix, refund the the installation charge. If they did the work, call them up and ask for Pete. If he isn't there ask for Shayne Lockhart, he's the GM of the auto group.
Thanks for the info. They didn't mount and balance during the 30k, but they did inspect/inflate to 32psi... which oddly enough was 42psi+ when I checked it a week later.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by shy_guy98ex
Thanks for the info. They didn't mount and balance during the 30k, but they did inspect/inflate to 32psi... which oddly enough was 42psi+ when I checked it a week later.
Someone forgot to air one down when they inflated them.. I'm assuming the others were around 32?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM

*NX* has disabled reputation

Do you have a TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) As you may already know, heat expands and cold contracts. The same thing goes for your tires. As your tires heat up, they may read a little on the high side, and vice versa. If I fill the tires in my Sentra (which is equipped with a TPMS) to 32 psi like the manufacturer specifies, I can drive around for maybe 45 minutes to an hour before the TPMS light goes on saying that I've got low tire pressure or a flat. I regularly set my tire pressures high in order to compensate for the loss in pressure when the tire heats up. Just my .02. I hope the stealership takes care of your issue before any real problems occur.

Cheers

Dave
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by *NX*
Do you have a TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) As you may already know, heat expands and cold contracts. The same thing goes for your tires. As your tires heat up, they may read a little on the high side, and vice versa. If I fill the tires in my Sentra (which is equipped with a TPMS) to 32 psi like the manufacturer specifies, I can drive around for maybe 45 minutes to an hour before the TPMS light goes on saying that I've got low tire pressure or a flat. I regularly set my tire pressures high in order to compensate for the loss in pressure when the tire heats up. Just my .02. I hope the stealership takes care of your issue before any real problems occur.

Cheers

Dave

I am well aware that the air will expand and contract based on heat, but will it expand by as much as 10psi+? And I drive an AP1 s2000, described by so many as RAAAW, I don't have much more than wheels, and seats, with a radio. TPMS is a far dream.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Someone forgot to air one down when they inflated them.. I'm assuming the others were around 32?
The fronts were at 32psi exact, but the backs at 42psi+. The fronts were fine but already had 22k,mi+/- and were ready to be replaced, the backs had <15k,mi+/- and were at 5/32nd one week with fairly even wear, and 0/32nd in the middle and 1-2/32nd on the sides two or so weeks later. I mean the backs were put on in late July, the fronts were on when I got the car and had probably 10k,mi on them already.

Quick Reply: Tire is on backwards