Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Tire is on backwards

Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
AKA: SHY_GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy
Angry Tire is on backwards

So I spent $415 on new tires, $180 for mount balance and alignment.... I even had the self control to keep my driving style grandma enough to break them in properly. 500mi of easy acceleration and braking. I drive halfway to DC today and my friend says, "Dude, I think this tire is on backwards." I say no way and check and initially thought he was wrong, but he wasn't....

Questions:

How bad is it for my tire to have been mounted backwards for 500mi +/- on soft acceleration, braking and nothing above 90mph (I know... )?
Do they need to re-align the car when they dismount and remount the tire?
How will this effect the life of the tire?

Don't think it matters but, 225/45/17 Kumho Ecsta SPT
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Registered member

fventura03 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tire is on backwards

take it back, tell them to remount it, no need for alignment. chances are nothing is wrong with the tire but if there is irregular wear, they should replace it since it's their fault it wasn't mounted correctly, not yours.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

jdmteg18 is an unknown quantity at this point

as long as there is no uneven wear (like your car is lowered,so your tires wear on the inside) then your fine. The main reason for "directional" tires is mainly for the water ducts. On directional tires,the water ducts are a certain patern,usually driving water from the center of the tire,to the outside. When they are on backwards,in rain,it would be driving water from the outside of the tire,in twards the middle. bad because obviously water being driven to the middle of the tire will increase the chance of hydro plane. Other then that your fine,go back and get the shop that did your tires to fix his mistake.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're fine, 500 miles isn't going to affect wear from the backwards tread blocks, and you obviously haven't run into any traction or standing water problems.

Make sure they do it for free.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:42 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Most likely you will be fine and have no issues. Just have them remount it correctly.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:48 AM
r0tard

Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts

That one tire will lead to a fireball of death. I'd sue.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

take them back and tell the company that they mounted them on backwards... they have to replace them.

i just fixed a single tire that was put on in MAY of 07 that was on backwards and the owner JUST noticed it... the tread left was about 50%......

brand new tire. for free. mounted the right way.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Registered member

supraBoy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by projekt
take them back and tell the company that they mounted them on backwards... they have to replace them.

i just fixed a single tire that was put on in MAY of 07 that was on backwards and the owner JUST noticed it... the tread left was about 50%......

GOOD SHIT CALEB!!!

Glad i gave you the receipts then!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:14 PM
In the Head

Way2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by projekt

So that's all I have to do? get new tires take em to a friend rotate them after 30,000 miles the take them back to original shop?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:26 PM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

hmmm, shouldn't be a problem with that few miles and driven gently. Once it's fixed, I bet it will sound quieter. Did you have an excessive tire noise? That's usually your first clue when this happens...

BTW, I take it you went to the Auto Show? It took me 6 hours to get through all of it in detail... Good times!!!

Quick Reply: Tire is on backwards