Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Ticket Related -- Problems with prepay?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skeeter has disabled reputation
Default Ticket Related -- Problems with prepay?

So I got a "failure to obey a highway sign" ticket back in early September.

Guily. No Contest. Considering myself lucky. Not about to argue any of that, just wanna pay the sucker and be on my way. It is a "pre-payable offense" allowing me to essentially plead guilty and pay up front and eliminating the need for a court apearance blah blah... not so easy...

I've been checking the VA court system web site for my case/summons number and never found it. Called the listed number for pre-payable offenses for FFX County, entered my summons number, they couldn't find it. Called a Traffic Clerk and they didn't find it. Had to go to court house anyways and show them the ticket, at which point they entered it in the system and I was able to "pre-pay" the ticket. Just met the 2 business day deadline for pre-payable offenses (Court date is/was Friday)

What I'm curious about is if anyone else has had problems with the "prepayable fines" system. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to go to county clerk one way or another to pay it. Only plus to it is that it's a set fee and the judge coulda bumped it up had he/she felt like it. Just so happens i got my ticket in Fairfax County, NOVA, but I'm curious if other areas of VA have had similar problems.

Anyone else think that had I not brought it to the court's attention that the case would have disappeared or would I be recieving a nastygram in the mail had I not pre-paid/attended court? I mean a summons is a summons, reagardless of wether it is "in the system" right?

Thoughts? Comments? Cheesy Poofs?

Side Note: Not complaining, was still easier than a court appearance.Just curious if others have had similar issues and can shed any light on the difficulty.

Last edited by Skeeter; 10-25-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:06 AM

HSP_DSM has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ticket Related -- Problems with prepay?

I went to pre-pay a ticket last week...I got a passenger seat belt ticket in Salem, Va. Well when I went to pay the ticket it came up to be $86...I said no you must have done something wrong...She said no improper exhaust is an $86 dollar ticket...I said lady I didn't get improper exhaust I got a passenger seat belt ticket. I said look it even says passenger seat belt ticket right under the code section. She said well the officer has written the wrong code. She said well you will have to speak with the officer or his seargent...the officer wasn't there so I talked to his seargent...the seargent said the only person able to amend the ticket is the commonwealth attorney...so he called her up on his phone and told me that she was waiting on me...I walked all the way down to her office to find out that she is not even there, that she has been out of the office for the past hour...So now I'm pissed that I just got lied to...I walk down there to talk to that seargent again...but guess what he's gone for the day...imagine that...then I talk to another officer...he says let me see what I can do for you...about five minutes later he comes out and says well the commonwealth attorney is gone for the day...I said you are telling me stuff that I already know...he hands me my ticket and says "I don't care, It's your problem" my friend was standing right beside me when he said this...I was shocked that an officer of the law would say that...Anyways went to court explained it to the judge...DROPPED!!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Coastal Carolina U

James93tsi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ticket Related -- Problems with prepay?

I was with logan(hsp dsm) when he went to prepay and that was the most bs I have ever seen. All because of two numbers being mixed up.