Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Subwoofer box help

Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Patron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default Subwoofer box help

Now I know there are some I.C.E. guru's on the board, so I decided to seek help here.

Basically I've had a couple subwoofer's laying around for quite sometime that I had in one of my old cars and I want to put them in my Durango. Now when I had subs in a truck car I used a sealed box and they sounded nice. When I had them in one of my old cars (Probe GT) I had a ported box because of the hatch. Now I've hard a bandpass box in an SUV and it sounded nice.

What should I go with in my Durango? I was thinking either a ported box or a Bandpass box since it's a big open space.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Non Spelling Asshole

Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez
Default Re: Subwoofer box help

What sub?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Patron

2 Memphis 12's
Old 07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Of all the boxes I've built, sealed and ported are my favorite. (former ice installer and competitor in the late 90s) This has a lot to do with the type of music you like to listen to though.
As a general rule of thumb, sealed boxes offer the best sub control, but lowest efficiency and narrow frequency response. Sealed can be very small if you want, which doens't seem to be a factor in your giant Durango. Ported are not as controlled, but have great output for the amount of power. They can also have a fairly broad freq response. Bandpass are the highest efficiency, but are very peaky in a narrow freq range, and tend to be "one note wonders" if they aren't designed very carefully. They also need a ton of space. Kick drums on a bandpass generally sound like muddy crap.
If you like bass heavy music, ported or bandpass is the way to go, and if you like very tight bass, such as kick drums, (metal, etc) sealed or a well designed ported would be a good choice. I'd go with ported, because it is the most far reaching type of box for all types of music.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-04-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:47 AM
its not a trans am..

99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6

Joe, send Kyle (NA$TY) a pm or give him a call. He used to be big into shit like that, and he can help.

That is if you dont get the info here.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:48 AM
r0tard

Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts

Fabrik8 hit it on the head.
There isn't much else to say, other than bandpass boxes are exaclty that, if designed PROPERLY they are great for a specific band, i wouldn't suggest them to anyone.

Although I'd say go sealed, best all-around, IMO. Rock or anything with a faster BPM sounds dirty in a ported enclosure. Hip-hop sounds good on anything.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Clean Freak.

Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean

I'd def go sealed joe..I've always loved the tight clean bass produced by sealed boxes. Friends ported boxes always sounded so much more distorted and unclean..
Old 07-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Patron

Thanks guys, but I rolled over to Natchez' house to install earlier and he let me use a custom built ported box built by DAS that was in a Grand Cherokee. It sounds clean and it's not really loud outside if the vehicle, which I kinda like.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

never had a ported box....my JL's are sealed, which they kick ass.

I had a bandpass box with my old orions....it is what it is....wasnt to bad, but it was sloppy compared to my current setup.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

Most bandpass boxes are prebuilt and arent designed properly for the subs. However, when a bandpass box is designed correctly for the sub then it sounds amazing.

For your application, I'd go ahead and go for the ported route. Two 12's tuned to anywhere form 30 to 40 hz should be good.

Too bad I sold my old sub tho. arg

Anyways, if you need one built I can do it.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer box help