Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Stupid exhaust question

Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Stupid exhaust question

I'm tired of the ridiculous look of a vertically mounted 5x10 muffler (exhaust guy made the executive decision on it without the bumper being on the car, so I can't entirely blame him). I'm going to a 4x8 (which will fit horizontally). I like the sound of the current setup, so I figure I'll stick with 3" in/3" out. Does it make any difference to flow/sound where the inlet and outlet are on the muffler, or do I just go with whatever configuration makes for the easiest install?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well
Default Re: Stupid exhaust question

the straighter the flow the better

you will not make that much difference at all if the inlet is offset from the outlet. there are baffles inside the muffler to deflect the flow
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

Originally Posted by B-Well

you will not make that much difference at all if the inlet is offset from the outlet. there are baffles inside the muffler to deflect the flow
+1 hey why r we still awake?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by jdm monkey
+1 hey why r we still awake?
I have a project due at 9am that is supposed to take 8 hrs. Actually, I had two of them but I just popped one out in 2 hrs so...wish me luck
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I'm tired of the ridiculous look of a vertically mounted 5x10 muffler (exhaust guy made the executive decision on it without the bumper being on the car, so I can't entirely blame him). I'm going to a 4x8 (which will fit horizontally). I like the sound of the current setup, so I figure I'll stick with 3" in/3" out. Does it make any difference to flow/sound where the inlet and outlet are on the muffler, or do I just go with whatever configuration makes for the easiest install?
The offset of the muffler is basically for better fitment...

Originally Posted by B-Well

Not entirely... For different offsets the internal construction of the muffler can varry...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
ATGATT

I don't know what to make of information that comes from someone with a picture of boxxy for an avatar...given the caption, I'm hoping you're under 18...

It would be a Bassani fwiw.

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.