Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Slicks vs Drag Radials

Old 10-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lambocivic has disabled reputation
Default Slicks vs Drag Radials

Just curious what would be best to go with for track use. Ok, so here is
the rundown.

98 civic ex
D16y8 w/ edelbrock turbo kit
GT28R
18 Psi put down in the 240s
All motor mounts filled
And the best i could muster out of the beast was 14.3 at 103 on streettires, spinnin first and second

so i am interested to know what would be best for my setup. I was lookin at some using 14" or 15" for drag radials, if that is even a good setup. Not sure what to use and would appreciate yous guys help. Tryin to save up and be ready for next years track season. Any good info would be great.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda
Default Re: Slicks vs Drag Radials

Ummm how bout more practice?

Are you having traction issues of spinning or wheel hop? Have you invested in good traction bars, or a GOOD suspension setup? If you don't have a good base, drag radials and slicks won't be up to their full potential.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
squad up!!!

To0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud of

Pretty much what idrave just said..

FWD is much harder to get out of the hole and unlike MOST RWD cars, you cant really just throw some slicks or DRs on the car and expect to gain alot.. You have to be set-up for it..
Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Oh... Well the car is lowered. Skunk 2 coilovers on Tokico Illuminas. Dont have much problem with wheel hop, just spinning. Cant seem to put down good 60ft times. Mostly in the 2.5 and up range. Mostly curious which is better for me. I might also need to invest in a two stage boost controler.
Any more help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 PM

MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN

i just say get some nice drag radials. thats all you really need for what you got
Old 10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Reppin The DOHC

turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies

how much hp u pushin?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 PM

240hp @18psi
Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 PM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp

Sounds like you need to probably set up your suspension a little better and work on your overall driving. Also is this a built motor?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:18 PM

yeah, its a built bottom end. Darton sleeves, weisco pistons, eagle rods, its bored out to be a 1.8l, stock crank. Its got springs and retainers, stock valves up top. This is not really a track car, but would like to get some of the things to get it better at the track. With 103+ trap times i should be a little closer to the 13s than where im at. When i shift to second, and punch it the car just breaks loose, not too sure how much practice will stop that? really think i mainly need some stickier tires. thanks again for the help, any more is great.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

how much tq are you making? How often do you run the car at the track? Do you plan on making more power in the future?

Drag radials will allow you to use them on the street.
Slicks will grip more at the track, but whether you really need them is unsure.
Upgrading your suspension will help, but slicks or drag radials will help even if you dont upgrade your suspension
When you do run the car with slicks or drag radials make sure to raise the car so you have the least amount of camber, and that will help you gain traction as well as prevent from breaking an axle.
If you have wheel hop let off and go buy traction bars.

I would go with slicks b/c they leave you room to upgrade.

Quick Reply: Slicks vs Drag Radials