Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Scion TC Keys

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Scion TC Keys

Door poppers are just springs that are compressed when the door is closed. A solenoid has to actuate the door latch. You would want a door latch solenoid. But, then you're fucked if you didn't put the E-Brake on.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

Oh ok, I thought they had an internal solenoid. That was just an idea anyhow and I really hadn't looked into it very far at all. I always park my car with the e-brake on (esp. since I park in neutral on a slanted driveway haha) Maybe that's a bad idea, but it's how I learned. Maybe one of these days I'll try to kick the habit.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm talking about the door poppers for cars with shaved door handles.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

Yea those are the ones I was talking about too, I just wasn't clear on the way they worked exactly. I thought they were just a spring loaded pin that had an internal solenoid that released the pin when you pushed the button on your remote. I didn't realize that they were just the spring loaded pin (i.e. completely mechanical part).
Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Kwin507 has disabled reputation

shit it cost me around 280-290 for another key
Old 02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Kwin507 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by siclike7
Na, I was thinking about getting my GF a remote start for V-day and was wondering if I needed to bypass the secuirty chip.

Thanks for the quick responce.
I have a remote start on mine youll need to have that spare key. more info just pm me i watched the whole install
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by The_Truth
Yea those are the ones I was talking about too, I just wasn't clear on the way they worked exactly. I thought they were just a spring loaded pin that had an internal solenoid that released the pin when you pushed the button on your remote. I didn't realize that they were just the spring loaded pin (i.e. completely mechanical part).
Yeah, the popper just pushes the door out. The solenoid replaces the door handle to actuate the latch. This is separate from a regular power door lock or keyless entry system, because power door locks just lock/unlock but still require the door to be opened manually with the door handle. The solenoid gets rid of that step, so with a power lock/keyless system you have sometihng to unlock the door, something to unlatch the door (latch solenoid replacing the door handle function), and something to push the door (popper) out so you can pull on the edge.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yeah, the popper just pushes the door out. The solenoid replaces the door handle to actuate the latch. This is separate from a regular power door lock or keyless entry system, because power door locks just lock/unlock but still require the door to be opened manually with the door handle. The solenoid gets rid of that step, so with a power lock/keyless system you have sometihng to unlock the door, something to unlatch the door (latch solenoid replacing the door handle function), and something to push the door (popper) out so you can pull on the edge.
Cool cool. Thanks for the info. Even if I'm not planning on using this system, I never argue with learning a little bit about stuff like that.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Makes sense too, because the only hole in my interpretation of it was the fact that my idea of a popper wouldn't have actually unlatched the door. I was still trying to figure that one out haha.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Thanks for the info guys. If I have any questions after I make a purchase ill let ya know.

Quick Reply: Scion TC Keys