Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The return of Datsun!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02
Default Re: The return of Datsun!

Originally Posted by Pepsibottle1
From what I've read, the plan is to use the marque as a budget brand rather than a retro or sporty image. It's an off-brand so that Nissan can sell cheap cars without hurting their rep in "developing countries" like China and what not.

That's great news to hear but I'm sure bummed we won't get to see it over here. I don't know how selling cheapo cars under the Datsun name would go down with everyone in the U.S anyhow.
That's more or less what they did here as well. The vehicles started selling as Datsun only so it would be easier for Nissan to distance themselves from the brand if it tanked. Since it was successful here they gradually moved from Datsun, to Datsun by Nissan, to only Nissan.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco
Default Re: The return of Datsun!

Originally Posted by Pepsibottle1
From what I've read, the plan is to use the marque as a budget brand rather than a retro or sporty image. It's an off-brand so that Nissan can sell cheap cars without hurting their rep in "developing countries" like China and what not.

That's great news to hear but I'm sure bummed we won't get to see it over here. I don't know how selling cheapo cars under the Datsun name would go down with everyone in the U.S anyhow.
This is pretty much how it is. While I am happy to see Datsun coming back, I fear they won't be honoring the name the way they should. Almost the entire import sports car scene is due to Yutaka Katayama and the Datsun 240Z. To use that name as a way to make disposable cars is almost shameful. I hope they don't totally go in that direction.