Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Removing the smell of smoke from a car?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan
Default Re: Removing the smell of smoke from a car?

The biggest issue is the interior is still coated with soot and tar and smoke, everything you can think of.

One of the craziest memories I have is when my friend's dad had his Explorer cleaned. Gray with a burgundy interior. He was a hardcore cigar smoker and smoked in the car all the time. When he quit he had the car cleaned professionally. Turns out that interior was bright red. I'd second the vote on a steam clean with deodorizer and maybe resolve or something in it.

For the vinyls (like a headliner) Armor All cleaning wipes take off all the grim in one or two swipes.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

Originally Posted by Grimace
Rent an ozone generator. Its what dealerships use to get smells out of preowned cars.
+1. old car i had was a smokers car for 8 yrs before i bought it. dealer hooked that up to it over night and the car was fresh n new. would have never guessed.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by Black Nugget
Just picked up a new cabin air filter for the car this morning. Nothing I can really do about the ducts though.
We have products you can spray in the vents to eliminate mold, mildew and probably any other crap in there.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

They make these things that look sort of like bug bombs, you put them in the car, close all the doors/windows and let it off. Works very well and the smell doesn't come back.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
They make these things that look sort of like bug bombs, you put them in the car, close all the doors/windows and let it off. Works very well and the smell doesn't come back.
more info plz.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

the wifey puts bowls of ammonia in random spots around the house if we cook something that leaves an odor... it works pretty well with absorbing. it should be fine in a car as long as that shit doesn't spill

Edit: not ammonium... stupid bourbon

Last edited by DaLuded; 07-05-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by DaLuded
the wifey puts bowls of ammonium in random spots around the house if we cook something that leaves an odor... it works pretty well with absorbing. it should be fine in a car as long as that shit doesn't spill
Old 07-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by DaLuded
the wifey puts bowls of ammonium in random spots around the house if we cook something that leaves an odor... it works pretty well with absorbing. it should be fine in a car as long as that shit doesn't spill
Ammonium hydroxide I hope?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:17 PM
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Ammonium hydroxide I hope?
you and me both?