Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

smoke and fuel smell

Old 03-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Change the game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobdigi18 will become famous soon enoughbobdigi18 will become famous soon enough
Default smoke and fuel smell

What causes a fuel injected vihicle to have a small ammount of white smoke and smell like gas when you start it up? It runs fine no hesitation but when you first start it there is the smell of gas coming from the exhaust.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:50 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default Re: smoke and fuel smell

sounds like your gas isn't being combusted in the chamber right away. Take a look at your spark plugs. You might have one thats a little dirtier than the rest. Possibly and injector thats open all the time? When I stupidly wired my distributor backwards, I was getting that all the time (don't ask)

How's your gas mileage?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Change the game

bobdigi18 will become famous soon enoughbobdigi18 will become famous soon enough

Its hard to tell with the gas milage, its a v8 suv, I wasnt sure of the milage before this problem. I went out and started it this morning and gas was all I could smell. I will check the plugs but it seems like a lot of gas.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Change the game

any other ideas?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
cibic weetec

GIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond repute

if it's only when you first start it up it could be valve seals. my car did that for a while, and after i replaced the seals it didn't do it anymore.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Change the game

Yea, got it fixed. about a 1/2 gallon of fuel setting inside my intake and some injectors that look like they caught fire.

Last edited by bobdigi18; 03-13-2005 at 08:24 AM.