Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Racing Technology Hub coming to Hampton

Old 06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
f'n bat country son!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough
Default Racing Technology Hub coming to Hampton

My dad just sent me this e-mail... sounds pretty interesting.

Hampton revs its motorsports plan

The city is negotiating with a developer from North Carolina to construct the first building for its fledgling plans to develop a racing technology hub.

The city is ready to kick off the development of its local motorsports industry with the construction of a building that could house as many as five motorsports tenants.

Hampton selected Regional Cos. of Charlotte, N.C., from three proposals submitted to develop and construct a $4 million, 55,000-square-foot building on 6.5 acres in Langley Research and Development Park, said Ray White, director of economic development for Hampton.

Michael Phillips, chief executive officer of NuView Development Group in Suffolk, also is working in partnership with Regional Cos. in the venture.

White said the final negotiations would be completed when the company meets Hampton officials to set terms of an agreement...

Regional Cos. and its affiliate, Charlotte-based Commercial One, will serve as a local marketing arm for the Hampton Motorsports Technology Alliance, a collection of economic-development teams, racing experts and officials from Old Dominion University's Langley Full Scale Tunnel.

The alliance promotes the Peninsula as a motorsports incubator because teams can test at ODU's wind tunnel and Langley Speedway. The area also is home to automotive companies, such as Ford and Siemens...

Shaheen concurred that the two biggest draws in attracting motorsports tenants for Hampton were the NASA Langley Research Center and the Langley Full Scale Tunnel
Old 06-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation
Default Re: Racing Technology Hub coming to Hampton

i think this is being spearheaded by the same people who are building the drag strip in virginia beach...
Old 06-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

DomesticRice has disabled reputation

I just cant see big racing teams testing at langley speedway.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM

turbochad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DomesticRice
I just cant see big racing teams testing at langley speedway.
No, but you should see the big racing teams that do come to use Langley's (run by ODU) large wind tunnel. I've been there to see Ferrari and several NASCAR teams test there.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:26 AM
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by turbochad
No, but you should see the big racing teams that do come to use Langley's (run by ODU) large wind tunnel. I've been there to see Ferrari and several NASCAR teams test there.
What have you seen Ferrari test out there? Just curious because I think that would be pretty damn cool to see something like that.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

DomesticRice has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by turbochad
Yeah there are plenty of Nascar teams that test at the wind tunnel, but I was only talking about the track.