Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

paint prep work

Old 07-02-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paint prep work

I found a place to paint the front bumper im buying this weekend, but I think id like to do the prep work myself. Im guessing that this just involves sanding it down? anything else? What grit should I be using? Any help is much appreciated.

-Mike
Old 07-02-2003, 06:49 PM
ECR
Bow Down

ECR is on a distinguished road

they will usually sand it down themselves anyway whether you do it or not.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:02 PM

im having it done for free, but apparently they dont do a great job all the time, so I figured I would do the prep work to make sure that gets down right, since the prep work is very important to the final outcome of the paint job.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:27 PM
<========8 ROBBCOCKS

Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx

to prep the car there is a lot to be done...you got to sand it down first...then wash it and get the residue off, the you got to wet sand it so that you do not feel any rough spots....and then you have to get a special cleaner to clean off the finger prints and shit....trust me its a big pain in the ass..i preped mine before i had it painted..and sanding is a bitch casue you cant get the whole car with a DA sander...and even if you take it to them...as you said they dont do a good job all the time...they may touch the car and when it is painted it will fisheye....so if i was you id watch it when they do it or you will watch your money go down the drain...cause someone touched my front end and it fisheyed...

Happy Sanding
Old 07-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

You get what you pay for when it comes to paintjobs, so I'd recommend doing the prepwork yourself.

It's a pain in the ass, but if you do it right, it's one less thing to worry about, especially if you're getting a free paintjob.

Do a google search on prepping a car for painting, and you'll find some useful links showing you what you have to do (most links will give you basically the same info, so read a few to get the gist).
Old 07-03-2003, 10:06 PM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

its not a pain in the ass at all....prepping is really easy but just needs to be done right and taking your time. Im a car painter.....anything you want to know...... just give me details. Most of the things 5th gen stated is incorrect anyway. (especially the part about touching it with your hands. OIL causes fish eye and it usually accures on your clear coat and not your base.(although you do have oil in your skin) unless someone just takes their finger and intentially rubs it all over the base coat, thats the only time i see it happening)

Last edited by s2k7; 07-04-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 AM
<========8 ROBBCOCKS

Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx

its hard work man....especially when it is hot outside

Last edited by Tainty_McFshStx; 07-05-2003 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 AM
<========8 ROBBCOCKS

oil from your hands .....and its in my base coat...and my friend who is the head painter a bruces auto body shop helped me paint the car.....so most of what i said is not incorrect......in fact none of it is ...that is if your doing the best possible job
Old 07-05-2003, 10:58 AM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

You Have Fisheye In your basecoat? WOW..someone really did a shitty job then. There was some serious shit on your car then before he painted it.

I mean, they dont even recommend using fish eye eliminator that you can put in your base due to the fact that all your problems come in effect when then clear coat is applied.

Oh..by the way....whats your friends name that works at bruces, i know a few people who work there. I wanna se if he's the head painter. Everyone you ever talk to now a days says " yeah...im the head painter at coxtons, one stop, etc etc"

Last edited by s2k7; 07-05-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Nates95Accord
its not a pain in the ass at all....prepping is really easy but just needs to be done right and taking your time. Im a car painter.....anything you want to know...... just give me details. Most of the things 5th gen stated is incorrect anyway. (especially the part about touching it with your hands. OIL causes fish eye and it usually accures on your clear coat and not your base.(although you do have oil in your skin) unless someone just takes their finger and intentially rubs it all over the base coat, thats the only time i see it happening)
So should I Sand it all the way down or not? and what grit sandpaper should I use? I keep hearing tons of conflicting information on what to do.

Quick Reply: paint prep work