Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Paint Code Question

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
1.6L Elitist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts
Default Paint Code Question

So it appears that the paint on my car is some form of a custom paint. I do not have a code for this paint, and I really need a trunk lid painted. This leads to my question:

Does anyone know of any options I may have for matching the paint? It looks like a Toyota white pearl, but they do have quite a few to choose from. I was thinking of getting some touch up samples and taking that route.

Does a tool exist that can take a picture and generate the specs for automotive paint? I've seen something that essentially takes a picture of interior paints and gives specs.

I tried calling some local shops, but they informed me they need some sort of base color to work with (ie. the base code and they can then match the custom pearl.)
Any information would be appreciated and please do not be a douche and tell me to look on my doorsill, hood, etc.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: Paint Code Question

I'm assuming you are talking about a miata so I am going to say, take it to the mazda dealership. They should be able to tell you what the paint code is and point you in the right direction. That's what I would do.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

because it may not be a mazda paint...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

yes, they have a light based tool that can tell you the color of your paint
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

most paint places have a camera just for this reason...it usually will give you a blendable match...

with pearl its going to be hard to match without blending the quarters...so with that said...get the quarters blended
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
1.6L Elitist

Originally Posted by B-Well
yes, they have a light based tool that can tell you the color of your paint
Originally Posted by nftuatn
most paint places have a camera just for this reason...it usually will give you a blendable match...

with pearl its going to be hard to match without blending the quarters...so with that said...get the quarters blended
Great information guys, thanks! Dumb question I know: All body shops have this tool? Or like a paint shop such as Matto's?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

like mattos
Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 AM
WAR KITTENS?!!!

Braineack is an unknown quantity at this point

So it appears that the paint on my car is some form of a custom paint...

Any information would be appreciated and please do not be a douche and tell me to look on my doorsill, hood, etc.
Originally Posted by Stroke-it
...I am going to say, take it to the mazda dealership. They should be able to tell you what the paint code is and point you in the right direction. That's what I would do.

sounds like we got a douche on our hands!