Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Sheeeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

Im having a hard time googling this correctly without getting a bunch of results that just lead to nowhere helpful.

The question is how many points on my license can be regained if any by taking a none court appointed driving school?
I say non court appointed because i know that driving school won`t help your insurance etc if you are there under order of the courts.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 PM
BROSCIENCE

DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy

So, quick question, if I were to pick up a car from another state and register it in VA, what else would I need to do? I've always bought cars within VA so I have no idea about the regulations on this. I would assume I would have to get VA inspection before the car was legal to drive.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Originally Posted by DwiZZy
So, quick question, if I were to pick up a car from another state and register it in VA, what else would I need to do? I've always bought cars within VA so I have no idea about the regulations on this. I would assume I would have to get VA inspection before the car was legal to drive.
I bought a car from South Carolina last year. Same process. I didn't get it inspected right away and actually got a ticket the next day (bullshit right). I even showed the bill of sale and he basically was like your SOL. So basically make sure: Plates (front and rear), inspection sticker, and registration and you're good!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 AM
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

Yeah, before the DMV will confirm your registration you'll need proof of getting it inspected in VA.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Originally Posted by Lay Zee H
Yeah, before the DMV will confirm your registration you'll need proof of getting it inspected in VA.
I don't think that's true. I didn't have to to at least. It's definitely something you want though.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

If I order new plates online, but I choose not to renew my registration, what do I do about the stickers? My registration runs out in June, I'm just curious if I'll have useless plates or what.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Boost makes me happy

midnightgst midnightgst midnightgst

Originally Posted by Lay Zee H
This is wrong you don't have to show proof of inspection to register a vehicle in the state of Va. I have never registered a vehicle anywhere but here. DMV has never asked me to show proof of inspection. I have never even been asked for proof of insurance.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

Originally Posted by midnightgst
This is wrong you don't have to show proof of inspection to register a vehicle in the state of Va. I have never registered a vehicle anywhere but here. DMV has never asked me to show proof of inspection. I have never even been asked for proof of insurance.
I've never been asked for either of them. They do, however, check electronically for the insurance. My brother found that out when he got a letter from them because he had taken one of his cars off the road and removed insurance, but it was still registered.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

davidalindsey has disabled reputation

If you don't have insurance for the car before you register it at the DMV, they never know that you don't have insurance and you could drive without getting a letter.
I believe they only know that you don't have insurance when you lapse or cancel you insurance, if you had insurance from the get go before you register it like you are suppose to do.
If you lapse or cancel your insurance then your insurance company is required to let DMV know that you do not have insurance from them anymore. Then DMV will will send you a letter if they do not get info that you have not insured that vehicle.

Yes this happened to me. I bought a car at a private dealership and told them that is was insured even though it wasn't. They gave me temporary plates to drive off the lot. then I went back to the dealership and got the real plates that DMV sent them to replace my paper plates. I drove for 3 years while not having insurance and not once did i get repercussions. I decided to get insurance for the car since I had the money and had insurance for 6 months. Since I got another car I put this one in my garage and did not continue to pay for the insurance for it since i was not driving it. 2 months after not paying for insurance I got a letter from DMV sating that that I would have to pay fees and fines and that my license will be suspended. Well I disputed the charge since I was not driving the car on the streets. I had a telephone hearing with DMV stating why I should not pay the fees.
DMV went in my favor and decided to waive the fees/penalty's and suspension of licence under the condition that I return the tags and plates to them.
So I returned the plates. I could have still been driving that car if i did not get insurance for it after I registered it at DMV.
The only issue I see is if you get into a wreck, obliviously. If you get pulled over and a cop ask for your insurance card. But most of the time I get pulled over I don't get asked for insurance. Just title and registration.
Maybe I was lucky.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal

You're gonna go far here... Prepare your digital anus.

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread