Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default The official DMV question thread

I have noticed a large increase in DMV questions lately, can a mod make this thread a sticky and I will put up all the info that I can regarding normal questions?

Post up your questions regarding licensing, registrations, taxation, salvage, etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

Maybe merge some of the existing threads into this? or go tell me to fuck myself, it doesnt matter to me but I figured I would offer it.

Also, might want to add to the thread title about VASP safety inspection questions too, we seem to get quite a few of them too.

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 12-10-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

got one for you.

have a kit car titled as a '65 replica in virginia. no catalytics (not necessary since design year didn't have them) and no mufflers (using exhaust cones as "sound dampening devices" to pass), and it's all legal in virginia.

need to transfer it to maryland. can it be done?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
got one for you.

have a kit car titled as a '65 replica in virginia. no catalytics (not necessary since design year didn't have them) and no mufflers (using exhaust cones as "sound dampening devices" to pass), and it's all legal in virginia.

need to transfer it to maryland. can it be done?

Title is already done in VA right? If so, yeah, you will have no issues. MD is weird on their tagging and such, they do have emissions last I checked so you would need to consult with their registration process to see what the emissions registration span is. I am pretty sure that 76 and older was exempted from emissions testing.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/MVA-Prog...P/veipinfo.htm
Old 12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Reporting FS Threads

E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda

I had a question about inspection.

I have a car with out of state tags, and no current inspection. I am active duty military so I wasnt sure if there was a clause where I was exempt from inspection. I just dont see driving 13 hours to Maine to get an inspection. If it is required can I get VA State inspection with ME plates?

If anyone could chime in, and help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Ive been to a few inspection shops locally and no one can seem to give me an answer.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 PM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by E.Honda
I had a question about inspection.

I have a car with out of state tags, and no current inspection. I am active duty military so I wasnt sure if there was a clause where I was exempt from inspection. I just dont see driving 13 hours to Maine to get an inspection. If it is required can I get VA State inspection with ME plates?

If anyone could chime in, and help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Ive been to a few inspection shops locally and no one can seem to give me an answer.

Thanks.
I have actually dealt with ME before on this matter, and can say with certainty that you are exempt till you become a citizen back in ME. If you are out on active duty, you are not required to get your states safety inspection until you return.

Technically VA cannot give you a ticket for expired inspection anyway, the only thing they can get you for is expired registration if it happens to be out, but that is very hard to do (ie ya gotta be a rahtard to get a ticket for that.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Reporting FS Threads

E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda

Im still currently a resident of ME. I never bothered to become a VA resident where Ill be returning to ME after my contract is over. Im glad to hear that Im exempt from inspection.

I also had one more question. I know, technically, you follows the rules for the state your licensed in. Technically. My tint is illegal for VA standards, can the cops still ticket me for this? I know I currently live here, but Im not a resident, my car isnt licensed here, it would be like pulling over a passing out of stater and ticketing for tint.

Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
The Pro to call.

Im still currently a resident of ME. I never bothered to become a VA resident where Ill be returning to ME after my contract is over. Im glad to hear that Im exempt from inspection.

I also had one more question. I know, technically, you follows the rules for the state your licensed in. Technically. My tint is illegal for VA standards, can the cops still ticket me for this? I know I currently live here, but Im not a resident, my car isnt licensed here, it would be like pulling over a passing out of stater and ticketing for tint.

Thanks again.
Technically you can be cited for breaking the motor code with illegal tint, but unless you are a complete d bag you should not have an issue with it.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Thanks again.
You have to abide by the rules of the state you are in, but most cops are cool and won't mess with you. and if i remember correctly you can get your car inspected here because we are a 2 part state meaning you can have your car registered and insured in one state but inspected in another because you are in the military....but don't quote me on that, i remember reading something like it a while back.....
Old 12-11-2010, 04:08 AM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
You have to abide by the rules of the state you are in, but most cops are cool and won't mess with you. and if i remember correctly you can get your car inspected here because we are a 2 part state meaning you can have your car registered and insured in one state but inspected in another because you are in the military....but don't quote me on that, i remember reading something like it a while back.....
This is mostly true. If you have your vehicle inspected in VA while you are on duty, it proves you are going above and beyond what is required to maintain your legalities.

A VA inspection is not valid in the home state, but it will prove you are trying to keep your vehicle maintained and legal.

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread