VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   The official DMV question thread (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/official-dmv-question-thread-374445/)

HatefulMechanic 11-01-2011 03:35 AM

Re: The official DMV question thread

I am not too familiar with NC form numbers and fees, but I would guess that you are looking around 2-300. Since you are titling it and not purchasing it, you should be just paying title fee and not a sales tax. Likely you will have a property tax on it, but that is based upon the locality.

IMSHAKN 11-01-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by huntstevent (Post 7442389)
I am active duty military stationed in NC. VA is my home of record and I have a VA drivers license. My car is registered in Texas where I bought it as I was was recently stationed in Texas. I have just switched my car insurance to NC. It's my understanding that 2 of the 3 (DL, registration, insurance) must be of the same state. Is this true? My registration will not be due til August, same with Inspection.

To avoid future hassle I would like to clear this situation up now. Do 2 of the 3 have to match? If so what would be the easiest way to do this? Should I get a NC DL or should i register my car in VA or NC? Would that be an option because USAA has the Texas title because I have the car loan with them? Thank you if you can clear this up for me.

This is not an unusual situation that you should ask your command about. In a nutshell, you just need to get your vehicle registered and insured in NC. You don't need to worry about your license. Follow this link http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle/title/ and scroll down to "For out-of-state vehicles with title held by a recorded lienholder, submit the following:"

Military members are permitted to maintain their drivers license and vehicle registration in the state of their home of record. This means that since VA is your home of record, you can keep your VA drivers license and your vehicles can keep VA tags. If you register your vehicle at a duty station that is not your home of record (as you did in TX), you have to register it again at your next duty station (like you have to do in NC). If you change the registration to your home of record, the only thing you have to do is insure the vehicle at each duty station and make sure your vehicle meets any inspection requirements.

huntstevent 11-03-2011 01:38 PM

With that in mind I think I will just register it in VA. I don't want to have to title the car in every state I get stationed in. I guess I'll just have to suck up the front license plate rule. So to clarify when all is said and done if my license and registration is in VA, it is okay to have the car insured in NC? Also, when registering my car in VA will I have to pay sales tax even if I already paid sales tax in TX? Thanks for all the help guys.

HatefulMechanic 11-03-2011 01:41 PM

Most likely you will have to pay the sales tax. I am not 100% sure though, cause if you are the owner of record, you should be simply titling it in VA and then registering. Expect to pay it, but be happy if you don't.

If you have VA tags, you gotta have insurance that meets VA requirements. As long as that is happening, you are good to go.

huntstevent 11-03-2011 02:00 PM

My new NC insurance does meet the VA minimums so that is good. I also just found this on the VA DMV site:

"If you are titling the vehicle in Virginia for the first time and you hold a valid assignable title or registration issued in your name by another state, you will not have to pay the sales and use tax. However, if you purchased the vehicle within the preceding 12 months, you must provide proof that the sales and use tax was paid elsewhere in order to be exempt from sales and use tax in Virginia."

The bold should apply to me and I have the purchase price and sales tax on the Application for Title and Registration card so I assume that will be adequate proof.

IMSHAKN 11-04-2011 02:21 PM

I think it's going to be a judgement call as far as what acceptable proof of paying sales tax would be. If it looks like it could be a receipt then you should be good, but you may want to call and ask.

HatefulMechanic 11-20-2011 03:25 PM

03tib 01-01-2012 08:41 PM

I have a quick question. I bought a car out of state and when the seller filled out the info on the title, he put $5.00 in the selling price when its obviously worth more to keep the sales tax low. Does the DMV look down upon this or do they not really care about the sales tax?

Trunk Impaired 01-01-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 03tib (Post 7552623)
I have a quick question. I bought a car out of state and when the seller filled out the info on the title, he put $5.00 in the selling price when its obviously worth more to keep the sales tax low. Does the DMV look down upon this or do they not really care about the sales tax?

Can't really give a definitive answer but an ex of mine did the same thing with her car and she didn't run into any problems. I think it's one of those situations where they know what's going on but can't really do anything about it, people can sell things for whatever price they choose.

03tib 01-01-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Race B&on (Post 7552630)
Can't really give a definitive answer but an ex of mine did the same thing with her car and she didn't run into any problems. I think it's one of those situations where they know what's going on but can't really do anything about it, people can sell things for whatever price they choose.

Yea thats what it seems like. I have all the signatures and the bill of sale also says the same thing so I should be good. Thanks for the response