VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   The official DMV question thread (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/official-dmv-question-thread-374445/)

HatefulMechanic 01-02-2012 02:40 AM

Re: The official DMV question thread

As long as you have a bill of sale signed by both parties you are fine.

If you did not, then you have a few options, but the easiest is to just tell them to charge you sales tax on the NADA value. I do that often, its better to pay the tax and get it done than fight for a few days to save a few bucks.

Trunk Impaired 01-24-2012 09:38 PM

Reported. Fucking burn in Hell spammer.

Yep4doors 03-04-2012 02:40 PM

This probably isn't a new question but someone with some more information about it could help me out. Anyways, I've been curious here recently about how title transfers go from state to state. For example, if I bought a car in Maryland, but live in Virginia, do you take the title to your local DMV and get the title changed just as if you had a Virginia title? I've seen a few cars that i might be interested in looking into but I would like to know how this goes first. I'd also like to know what issues, if any, were faced when doing this.

HatefulMechanic 03-04-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Yep4doors (Post 7666294)
This probably isn't a new question but someone with some more information about it could help me out. Anyways, I've been curious here recently about how title transfers go from state to state. For example, if I bought a car in Maryland, but live in Virginia, do you take the title to your local DMV and get the title changed just as if you had a Virginia title? I've seen a few cars that i might be interested in looking into but I would like to know how this goes first.

Yes, it is not hard. A simple VSA17a should be all you need to get a title done, provided there are no liens attached or other oddball things to deal with.

Garrett93 03-04-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic (Post 7666302)
Yes, it is not hard. A simple VSA17a should be all you need to get a title done, provided there are no liens attached or other oddball things to deal with.

That. I just bought a car from SC, went to my local DMV, just transfer it over like normal title. If I remember it right, there was some extra paper work, but it's very straightforward

Yep4doors 03-04-2012 11:09 PM

thanks guys its been a simple question I've been wondering for a while!!!

03tib 04-09-2012 03:14 PM

Ok, so I looked on the DMV website and didn't see a lot about "gifting" a car. I assume writing GIFT in the selling price should work but didn't know if I needed a bill of sale as well or there were any forms that needed to be filled out. If anyone has done this and has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks

HatefulMechanic 04-11-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 03tib (Post 7725072)
Ok, so I looked on the DMV website and didn't see a lot about "gifting" a car. I assume writing GIFT in the selling price should work but didn't know if I needed a bill of sale as well or there were any forms that needed to be filled out. If anyone has done this and has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks

You will need a signed bill of sale indicating it was a gift, and you will be fine.

crookedking 04-11-2012 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24 (Post 7218922)
I just bought a car from MD with a MD title. The car has a salvage title because it has been hit in the front. I plan on fixing it then driving it. The car is now in VA. What do I need to do once I fix the car to get it back on the road again? Thanks for any help.

I am kind of having this problem now.

Bought a motorcycle in MD with a MD salvageD (was rebuilt, examined, and passed in MD) title, tried to register in VA but I had to mail the title and some other forms to Richmond. ):

I hope they don't have to examine it again

Fabrik8 04-11-2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 03tib (Post 7725072)

Thanks

Can't you sell someone the car for $1and gift it that way?