Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car

Old 04-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Luxury = Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Default My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car

This is a letter to channel 10 news, the NPD, and anyone else i can think of that I am typing.

4/20 EDIT POST 37, CONVERSATION WITH PAROLE OFFICER

If you guys see any room for editing let me know. I'm writing another one for Tommy and Rumble

Hello,
First off I would like to say thank you to all of Norfolk's finest for the job they do. Its a very difficult job and it's definitely appreciated.

Onto my issue.

Recently my Porsche was broken into and some items were stolen. Upon further inspection of my vehicle I notice something in the bottom corner of the drivers door. I pick the item up and wouldn't you know it, it is identification card. I immediately called the police, report the break-in and inform them that I have a suspect. The officer comes and takes a report and confiscates the ID. I ask him if anyone can come and fingerprint my vehicle so I can begin the process of pressing criminal charges against the suspect.

He tells me that Norfolk Police Department does not finger print for vandalism's and break-ins. The officer looked up the suspects record and found what he described as "a history of thefts". I thought it odd that the identification card of a convicted criminal is found at the scene of a crime and that no effort is put forward gather the necessary evidence to have this person arrested. I figured it was about 1am and the officer was tired and wanted to go home.
Fair enough, i shrug my shoulders and call the local Police Department the following morning. A very nice gentleman answers the phone and I tell him everything that transpired the day before. He tells me pretty much what the officer who took my report did, He said "It was just not worth it to the city to send a unit out to dust for prints.If we did it for one person we would have to do it for everybody and that would cost the city a lot of money" I was at a loss for words.

A few days later a detective calls me at work and he begins to tell me that there is nothing they can really do in this case. It is very convenient that the ID of a convicted thief is found inside of your broken into car but they do not have enough evidence to arrest him. I ask to come and dust for prints and they will have all the evidence they need. I do not recall his exact words but I can just tell you that my car has not been finger printed yet.

So my question is this how much damage has to occur before its a crime worth doing something about?

My cars have been broken at least eight times as well as many of my neighbors. All of these incidents were reported to the Norfolk Police. We finally get a break and catch the criminal red handed but cannot press charges because obtaining the necessary evidence "will cost the city too much money".

That is unacceptable.

Last edited by Royalty; 04-20-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Crv-tec ??

BOOSTED-EK BOOSTED-EK BOOSTED-EK BOOSTED-EK BOOSTED-EK BOOSTED-EK BOOSTED-EK
Default Re: My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car

What.... thats BS i cant believe that they won't even come do anything about it even after they found out he has a record.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:12 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Its a good letter overall, well though out and not too bashing.

I would change it to say "my vehicle" instead of "my Porshe" was broken into. They may just think you have enough to take care of it. My $.02.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So what happens if you break into a house and leave your ID on the kitchen table? Is there enough evidence then? I'm not quite sure how they expect to gain more evidence if they were totally unwilling to fingerprint after finding an ID in the car. Sounds like no one cares enough to prosecute crimes. Maybe I should become a thief, it doesn't sound like there is any chance of being caught.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Cool so as long as I keep my crime spree limited to low cost items I'm not really commiting a crime.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Cool so as long as I keep my crime spree limited to low cost items I'm not really commiting a crime.
That's very true. Credit card companies are the same way usually. Say someone gets ahold of your card and goes shopping with it. Unless its like $10K, they just write it off and won't even investigate because it would take to much time and resources (aka money) to try and find the people that took it.

When they say crime doesn't pay, they mean big crime. Small crime seems to pay pretty well now a days.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 AM
skinny white boy

DJWURM is an unknown quantity at this point

some spelling and grammar errors I found... probably not all of them but I dont have time to really proof it...

Originally Posted by Royalty
This is a letter to channel 10 news, the NPD, and anyone else i can think of that I am typing.

If you guys see any room for editing let me know. I'm writing another one for Tommy and Rumble

Hello,
First off I would like to say thank you to all of Norfolk's finest for the job they do. Its a very difficult job and it's definitely appreciated.

Onto my issue.

Recently my Porsche was broken into and some items were stolen. Upon further inspection of my vehicle I notice something in the bottom corner of the drivers door. I pick the item up and wouldn't you know it, it is an identification card. I immediately called the police to report the break-in and inform them that I have a suspect. The officer comes and takes a report and confiscates the ID. I ask him if anyone can come and fingerprint my vehicle so I can begin the process of pressing criminal charges against the suspect.

He tells me that Norfolk Police Department does not fingerprint for vandalism's and break-ins. The officer looked up the suspect's record and found what he described as "a history of thefts". I thought it was odd that the identification card of a convicted criminal is found at the scene of a crime and that no effort is put forward to gather the necessary evidence to have this person arrested. I figured it was about 1 a.m. and the officer was tired and wanted to go home.

I shrugged my shoulders and call the local Police Department the following morning. A very nice gentleman answers the phone and I tell him everything that transpired the day before and he proceeds to tell me pretty much what the officer who took my report did. He said "It was just not worth it to the city to send a unit out to dust for prints.If we did it for one person we would have to do it for everybody and that would cost the city a lot of money", I was at a loss for words.

A few days later a detective calls me at work and he begins to tell me that there is nothing they can really do in this case. It is very convenient that the ID of a convicted thief is found inside of your broken into car but they do not have enough evidence to arrest him. I ask to come and dust for prints and they will have all the evidence they need. I do not recall his exact words but I can just tell you that my car has not been finger printed yet.

So my question is this how much damage has to occur before its a crime worth doing something about?

My cars have been broken into at least eight times as well as many of my neighbors. All of these incidents were reported to the Norfolk Police. We finally get a break and catch the criminal red handed but cannot press charges because obtaining the necessary evidence will cost the city too much money.

That is unacceptable.

Last edited by DJWURM; 04-17-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Keep us updated to WAVY ten's response. (Maybe send them pics?)

Tommy and Rumble is a good idea as well.

Subscribed for updates.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Dub driver

volklover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Royalty

Recently my Porsche was broken into and some items were stolen. Upon further inspection of my vehicle I notice something in the bottom corner of the drivers door.

He tells me that Norfolk Police Department does not finger print for vandalism's and break-ins. The officer looked up the suspects record and found what he described as "a history of thefts". I thought it odd that the identification card of a convicted criminal is found at the scene of a crime

So my question is this; how much damage has to occur before its a crime worth doing something about?

My cars have been broken at least eight times as well as many of my neighbors. All of these incidents were reported to the Norfolk Police.
Bolded a few things I noticed- I would NOT say what type of car-

Last edited by volklover; 04-17-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:46 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by volklover
I would NOT say what type of car-
Most definitely not. Just say that your car was broken in to.

Quick Reply: My letter to Norfolk Police dept, about the guys ID in my car