Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

ls1 guys...

Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rollinna65 has disabled reputation
Default Re: ls1 guys...

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
the 99 ls1 can be converted to make just as much power as an 02 ls1 by re changing the intake setup. it's a measily couple of horsepower.
Once again you're wrong. As previously stated, there's a different intake manifold, different heads, different cam and different exhaust manifolds, just to name a few.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:12 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
the 99 ls1 can be converted to make just as much power as an 02 ls1 by re changing the intake setup. it's a measily couple of horsepower.
Not even close, swapping the intake is not going to result in similar gains unless you open things up a bit everywhere else, the heads and cam were different also. Not to mention the tune between those cars is quite different, timing for example is 3 degrees different at WOT. The 99 PCM was no more tunable than any other and in fact was the same tune in 2000. The 2001 and 2002 PCM shared the same tune, while the 98 was all alone. The difference on a dyno between a 99 and and 01 is well over 15rwhp, way more than just a couple of measly horsepower, and required more than just the intake to make up the difference.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

What he said. Yeah the intake might give you a few hp, but nothing putting it with the 01+
Old 09-14-2006, 04:43 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

seems like i'm going to be getting a crash course in ls1 tech here real soon. we're looking at the 2000 ss tonight.

so let me see if i'm the ballpark... stock, a 00 ss should run in the low 13s... put down somewhere around 270-300 hp... what would be some of you all's recommendations for first mods? with what i've been exposed to, a set of long-tube headers should really make a significant power gain, i think i've heard upwards of like 40+ whp. i don't think he's really going to turn this car into a track beast, but i'm sure he wouldn't want to just leave it stock either. he really doesn't have a huge amount of technical knowledge, and i really won't have the time to get too in-depth with working on his car (hell i can hardly find time to get to mine...), so i think his mod list will not be too in-depth, nor require too much for installation.

recommendations?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

longtubes and drag radials...

if it's an auto, a 3500+ stall and radials.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blackout
seems like i'm going to be getting a crash course in ls1 tech here real soon. we're looking at the 2000 ss tonight.

so let me see if i'm the ballpark... stock, a 00 ss should run in the low 13s... put down somewhere around 270-300 hp... what would be some of you all's recommendations for first mods? with what i've been exposed to, a set of long-tube headers should really make a significant power gain, i think i've heard upwards of like 40+ whp. i don't think he's really going to turn this car into a track beast, but i'm sure he wouldn't want to just leave it stock either. he really doesn't have a huge amount of technical knowledge, and i really won't have the time to get too in-depth with working on his car (hell i can hardly find time to get to mine...), so i think his mod list will not be too in-depth, nor require too much for installation.

recommendations?
Track and dyno results of a friends bone stock with just a loudmouth catback exhuast, 2000 Camaro SS hardtop, with a 6 speed, factory tires, was 13.33@108, and it was pretty consistant, and it laid down 316rwhp the very next day on a dyno. It was on the high side for a 2000, typically 300rwhp was the average for that year.
Headers are a good start but do not expect 40+rwhp, it would take an intake and cam swap to get gains like that. Longtubes will definitely improve the overall curve but a really nice gain at the top of the RPM band is where you see the most. Throw an LS6 style intake on there, and get rid of that EGR crap blocking the intake track and you will see some pretty good gains overall. If it is an auto definitely a 3500 stall, get at least a 2.5 STR rated converter. If he gets DR's stay away from nitto's, look at BFG's or MT street radials.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 AM
OG Alumni

Originally Posted by Woodrow
What he said. Yeah the intake might give you a few hp, but nothing putting it with the 01+
I remember when the LSX intakes started showing up, and people were expecting huge gains from them. They were quickly disappointed because without a whole package change, better flowing heads, cam, and exhuast, the results were minimal.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Yup, the cams are different as other things. What do you think about the FAST intake?

I would also go with a Lid, cutout, longtubes and o/r y with a nice catback and you should be able to get around 20 rwhp.

LT's and o/r Y are my next mods.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:44 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Yup, the cams are different as other things. What do you think about the FAST intake?

I would also go with a Lid, cutout, longtubes and o/r y with a nice catback and you should be able to get around 20 rwhp.

i appreciate the input, but you're talking in ls1-speak, i'm having a hard time following. for example, i really am unaware of what exactly a 'lid' is... and i have no clue what you're supposed to cutout, or what o/r y stands for.

that's like me advising someone who's considering purchasing a 240 to go with 10/8s with monotube dampers, t/c's and pillow ball uppers, and make sure you get the z32 maf and 720's with an enthalpy tune to go with your gt2835r.

Last edited by blackout; 09-14-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 AM
OG Alumni

I have a 90/90 setup on my 383, and yes it makes quite a big difference, but I have a T-rex cam, and a set of AFR 205's that make the most out of that intake. I would not waste the money on a fast 78 over an LS6 style intake on a near stock motor, not much to gain unless you have a seriuos package (high flow heads and an aggresive camshaft), but by then the 90 would probably be the better deal with more room to grow down the road.

Quick Reply: ls1 guys...