Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...

Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...

Originally Posted by nftuatn
The small weights are 1/2 ounces...and I've seen wheels with 30 of them in one area.....you paved to have them balanced and that is obviously what it took to balance them..
But at the same time, that's a bad balancing job. With a good balancing job, the guy would have repositioned the tire so it wouldn't need so many weights. You get a better balance with less weight with the outboard weights anyway.

On top of this they chipped a wheel. Did they give you the money to repair it?

I have no idea why people go to Treadquarters. The worst prices and the worst service, what a combination!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Why is it so fucking hard to mount a tire without fucking the wheel up?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 PM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

No Lie...and it's AWALYSSSS really nice wheels that get fucked up too, never the shit ass wheels
Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

Originally Posted by Flite
i do this for a living and i have never damaged a wheel. and i only make 8.50 an hr...

if a good brand wheel, and even a decent brand tire took more than 2.5oz per wheel, something up. but i doubt i'd know anything on the subject, i've only changed thousands of them.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:05 PM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

i do this for a living and i have never damaged a wheel. and i only make 8.50 an hr...

if a good brand wheel, and even a decent brand tire took more than 3oz per wheel, something's up. a wheel could be bent or you got a blem tire. but i doubt i'd know anything on the subject, i've only changed thousands of them. sad thing is, car tires are what i change the least amount of.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

Originally Posted by marlinspike
But at the same time, that's a bad balancing job. With a good balancing job, the guy would have repositioned the tire so it wouldn't need so many weights. You get a better balance with less weight with the outboard weights anyway.

On top of this they chipped a wheel. Did they give you the money to repair it?

I have no idea why people go to Treadquarters. The worst prices and the worst service, what a combination!
All they did for me was not charge me the mounting and balancing fee. Which is fine with me. The chip isn't big at all, and the wheels already have some small chips from regular road use. I've been going to this Tread Quarters for a couple years now, and not once have I had a problem like this. Either way, I definitely won't be going back.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

Originally Posted by jarrett2k

if a good brand wheel, and even a decent brand tire took more than 3oz per wheel, something's up. a wheel could be bent or you got a blem tire. but i doubt i'd know anything on the subject, i've only changed thousands of them. sad thing is, car tires are what i change the least amount of.
Well, it took about 2.5 oz to balance the one wheel. The wheel is a dent-free Advan RS, and the tire is a new 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE11. So I'm really not concerned about the quality/condition of either of those in regards to the balancing.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

When i was in automotive class in high school we had an old shitty tire machine and i mounted all of axelerates,slo-40sx,vbspec, and my wheels and tires. With the combination of a stiff sidewall tire and a shitty tire machine, it was a bitch not to nick the wheels in a few spots.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 AM
ConflictedFelon

Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada
When i was in automotive class in high school we had an old shitty tire machine and i mounted all of axelerates,slo-40sx,vbspec, and my wheels and tires. With the combination of a stiff sidewall tire and a shitty tire machine, it was a bitch not to nick the wheels in a few spots.
this is true. we have two machines where i work that have a metal head on them, which we use on steel wheels or farm junk. then we have a hunter with a plastic head made for changing alloy wheels up to 24"
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 AM
ConflictedFelon

Originally Posted by fish
Well, it took about 2.5 oz to balance the one wheel. The wheel is a dent-free Advan RS, and the tire is a new 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE11. So I'm really not concerned about the quality/condition of either of those in regards to the balancing.
2.5oz isn't bad. like said before, they were trying to high the weights the best they could, thus needing more weight to balance out.

Quick Reply: Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...