Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...

Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 AM
NUMBER4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish
Default Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...

Had new tires mounted and balanced for my front wheels at the Tread Quarters off of Holland yesterday. Other than a small chip they put into one of my Advans, the work wasn't bad. Afterwards I noticed there were quite a few wheel weights used on the outboard side(behind the spokes) on one of the wheels. Have never seen this many weights used before on any wheels I've owned. They are the smaller weights, and there is a band of them that is about 4 inches long. The other wheel has about half that much.

The wheels are in mint condition, no dents or anything. The tires are brand new 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE11s.

Any idea why this is? Bad balancing job? Inexperienced technician? Had the car up to about 65 mph with no vibrations. Everything rides very smooth.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K
Default Re: Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...

If they ride fine, than there should not be an issue.

I have seen this before, but the guy had a 2 peice wheels and he was missing 2 bolts and he had to balance it out like that.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

maybe have them take off all the weights and try to rebalance it again. could be the wheel itself is unbalanced on one area, and by placing the weights in a non-visible area, takes more to compensate since not placing them in the ideal location.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

You also could have had a heavier spot in the tire happen to end up where the heavier spot is on the wheel. If it rides fine and you have no clearance issues you should be ok though.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

they probably just ran out of the bigger size weights and just used the smaller ones to get the balance right
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

The small weights are 1/2 ounces...and I've seen wheels with 30 of them in one area.....you paved to have them balanced and that is obviously what it took to balance them..
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 AM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

Originally Posted by captaininsano91
they probably just ran out of the bigger size weights and just used the smaller ones to get the balance right
That's what I was thinking. The first wheel they balanced had the larger weights on it.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
The small weights are 1/2 ounces...and I've seen wheels with 30 of them in one area.....you paved to have them balanced and that is obviously what it took to balance them..
Completely agree. But I was just a little stumped at seeing so many of them.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Yeah, no biggie, sometimes that shit happens and a wheel needs extra weight, for whatever reason. As long as it's not like over 4 ozs you are okay I believe
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

An experienced tire tech would have broken the tire down, spun it some, and checked the balance again.

It was likely a heavy tire/wheel combo that could have had reduced weight used if it was clocked. But, if its in balance then meh. Its just ugly. Kinda like counterbalancing.

Quick Reply: Large amount of wheel weights used for balancing...