Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Just bought Rebuilt LT1

Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandfrog has disabled reputation
Default Just bought Rebuilt LT1

Got this LT1 that spun a bearing from over revving, he had this motor in his RX7 then rebuilt it. It was bored over .30 and ported and polished. New pistons, new crank, but we think it's the same rods. Since I don't have the tools needed to do the swap, a friend of mine is doing the swap. I was told today one of the pistons were backwards... This kid that sold me the motor is suppose to be an experienced mechanic. When I say kid I mean 20-21 years old. He says he's rebuilt plenty of motors before and he seemed legit at the time. Other problem my friend says is it's extremely hard to turn the motor over. It's suppose to be tough, but not that tough. I'm not much for the internals of motors, but is this motor worth trying to put in after fixing these problems or should I find this guy and get my money back? But it was for a pretty damn good price, I would like to put the motor in if it's at all possible. I'm willing to bet it's not going to be as easy as getting my money back and giving his motor back. I'm not going to call him either about the problems with the motor, were going to take it by a machine shop and get opinions from someone there too. I'll call him up one day with the list of problems when I'm ready if it comes down to it.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh
Default Re: Just bought Rebuilt LT1

my lt1 was sometimes stubborn on cold starts.

good luck on the swap though
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
zOMG street racers!!

IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S

How is the piston backwards??
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by IEAT50S
How is the piston backwards??
Intake valve reliefs,exhaust valve reliefs.If lt1 is a rotary then disreguard my stupidity
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by madsteez
Intake valve reliefs,exhaust valve reliefs.If lt1 is a rotary then disreguard my stupidity
No you are right. The LT1 is what you are thinking it is.

I would just make sure when the motor is taken apart on your own accord that its properly put together. I wouldn't worry about it after that though. However, I would look over all the wiring the guy did on the car. I am going to assume it is a FC. So just double check all the nuts and bolts on the whole vehicle to make sure there is nothing else done poorly.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

The whole vehicle??? I'm putting this motor in my 93 Z28. It came from his RX7 which he modded for it to fit in. He over revved it, spun a bearing, rebuilt it, it was then sold to me. I also spun a bearing but I don't know the extent of the damage so I'm just replacing the motor all together with this newly rebuilt one. I'm having the problems as stated. I don't know if it's normal for it to be that hard to turn over (manually turning over with wrench), or what else he could have fucked up if he put the piston in backwards. We received the motor in several pieces so we are able to see what's going on.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by smokin240
The whole vehicle??? I'm putting this motor in my 93 Z28. It came from his RX7 which he modded for it to fit in. He over revved it, spun a bearing, rebuilt it, it was then sold to me. I also spun a bearing but I don't know the extent of the damage so I'm just replacing the motor all together with this newly rebuilt one. I'm having the problems as stated. I don't know if it's normal for it to be that hard to turn over (manually turning over with wrench), or what else he could have fucked up if he put the piston in backwards. We received the motor in several pieces so we are able to see what's going on.
Oh ok. I was making the assumption it was going back into the 7. Thats why I was saying to double check everything he did. But if its your vehicle then don't worry about it.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

It's a piece of shit. I went to check it out today, it turns over about 3/4 of the way and gets stuck and you have to muscle it to turn it the rest of the way over. The piston is like, upside down... and there's a label on it that's suppose to match the others. I don't know how you fuck that up. One of the rods that connect to the crank are slightly loose whereas the rest of them won't budge. It's like somethings bent in the motor, it just doesn't flow 1/4 of the way.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

threeleggedrat has disabled reputation

What was he asking for it?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Quick Reply: Just bought Rebuilt LT1