Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Importing Car

Old 01-20-2004, 05:31 PM
dudeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
puffdepyropunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing Car

I was looking at cars the other day and was wondering how much it would cost to import a car and change it to US specs and what not. Just Curious. Not like i could ever afford it. So what would need to be done and how much do you guys think it would cost?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
mi-4.com

Mi4Dub is an unknown quantity at this point

ask mi4lude. he trying to get his nissan from japan and he said something like 15k$
Old 01-20-2004, 05:35 PM
RIP MEAST

Tiny Tim will become famous soon enough

I was actually/still am looking at getting a 99 Type R imported. Everything came out to about $22,000. You have to get it registered in NY, and they have there own insurance company they deal with. If i can think of the website, ill post it up here.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
dudeman

puffdepyropunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea cuz i have found website that have cars listed as really cheap. Like FD's listed at like 5-6k with only 50k miles and dirt cheap Skylines(GT-S's) and HONDA integras. Just wondering if it would be worth it to the person who was buying it. They would definately have a unique ride tho. Around hear at least.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:10 AM
200HP/L

Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi

Originally posted by puffdepyropunk
Yea cuz i have found website that have cars listed as really cheap. Like FD's listed at like 5-6k with only 50k miles and dirt cheap Skylines(GT-S's) and HONDA integras. Just wondering if it would be worth it to the person who was buying it. They would definately have a unique ride tho. Around hear at least.
Yup...but you wouldn't be able to use the engine due to the lack of emmissions controls....

It'd be easier/cheaper to get a chassis with a blown drivetrain, import a front clip and swap everything over...
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

Originally posted by puffdepyropunk
It's not worth it if you want a car that is completely legal to drive on the streets. I don't mean "legal" but actually legal.

For cars with an obvious american equivalent, it's much cheaper, and a lot less hassle to just get the front clip, put it on, and call it a day.

For cars without an american equivalent, you're going to have to spend an assload of money the same way MotorEx did: you have to make all the safety and emissions equipment conform to US standards (and it's pretty extensive and detailed), and then crash test 3 entire cars (IIRC) to show that the modified cars will meet federal crash standards.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Good Ship Bear

sil80er is an unknown quantity at this point

what about buying a wrecked usdm type r and cutting out the vni plate in the firewalll and off the dash and putting in on the us type r. with all the damn conversions going on around here i think it is very possible.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

vin swapping is a felony.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Good Ship Bear

sil80er is an unknown quantity at this point

yea but it beats paying to have it legalized
Old 01-21-2004, 05:43 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

.......until you get caught.

keep in mind that there are millions of people wanting only to import the baddest cars from japan over here, but think about the amount of import/export companies that are actually legit. i can only think of around 3, one being motorex.

Quick Reply: Importing Car