Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I need an oil level gauge capable of withstanding 100psi pressure...

Old 08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickyroo has disabled reputation
Default I need an oil level gauge capable of withstanding 100psi pressure...

I am having a really shitty time finding a gauge to watch oil levels in certain pressure vessel equipment. Basically it's a normal oil reservoir like an oil pan, but it will be pressurized to 100psi. I know this is a weird question but some of y'all are real all-around mechanics and might have run into somethin like this before. TIA
Old 08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: I need an oil level gauge capable of withstanding 100psi pressure...

dipstick? or sight plug?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: I need an oil level gauge capable of withstanding 100psi pressure...

Don't diesels use crazy high oil pressures? Maybe a hydraulic gauge? I know that's high ass pressures.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:18 AM
~

it cant be a regular old float, or a sight glass. basically what we are doing is trying to remove the risk of operator-error on some atomizing air equipment (more or less compressors) because people tend to forget to add oil. this 'gauge' (which is more like a switch really) needs to send a low signal to a cut-off switch once a certain low level of oil is reached. obviously it needs to be explosion proof because electricity is being used and it is just kind of hanging out in a giant pit of oil. also the casing needs to be able to withstand constant 100psi pressure in the crankcase. maybe even 150 if that's possible.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

My old man used to speciallize in equipment like this...if you are seriously ready to spend the money I'll get him to contact some of his old connections and see what he can pull up.

PM me some very specific specs and I'll e-mail him about it.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 AM
~

moneys not really an issue considering what kind of money it would save to not lock up one of these giant compressors. im following a lead right now on something that might work out, if not we'll see whats up. keep the ideas coming im just not ready to submit a proposal or anything if i may have already found the solution.