Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How Much to Offer?

Old 11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loudpipe has disabled reputation
Default How Much to Offer?

A friend of mine has a 1995 Honda del Sol Si that he said he'd sell to me. I know little about Hondas, so I'm looking for advice. His car has a little over 130,000 miles on it, VERY clean, inside and out. Apparently is got a fairly rare motor in it, a twin cam VTEC. I'm not sure what it's called, but he tells me there weren't an awful lot of them made. As for the mod list, I don't know everything about it, but it's got a Skunk2 intake manifold, "whale penis" intake (not sure what make), strut bar, lightweight flywheel (8lb), stage 3 clutch, exhaust header and muffler, short shift kit, new distributer cap and rotor button, new magstar 8.5 mm blue race spark plug wires, new accel super coil, new iridium plugs, and some good looking after market wheels. it's also got a new ECU that raises the redline to 9000. Like I said, I don't know much about Hondas, but you can take it for granted that the parts to which I don't know the brands of are quality, reputable parts...he's pretty obsessive about the car and has told me the maker of the parts before, I just don't remember what they are.

The del Sol doesn't leak oil, but it does burn some. I'm not sure how much he goes through, but I can see it when I drive behind him. It's not enough right now to bother me, and in the future I'd probably be able to make use of a friend's shop and buy new rings, but I don't know when that'll happen. He's owned the car for about a year now, and the previous owner was an older man who used to drag American cars, and decided to get into Hondas. He had a small shot of nitrous on it and did used to drag it.

He paid a $6850 for it, has over $3000 invested, and is asking $8000. Is this a fair price, even with the oil being burnt?

Last edited by Loudpipe; 11-13-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 PM
emmett18

94b18c1 has disabled reputation
Default Re: How Much to Offer?

to me it seems like he is taking too much of a loss for so much invested....
Old 11-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I should clarify...$9000 including the price of the car. So really like $3000. *Editted to reflect this clarification.*
Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 PM
emmett18

94b18c1 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Loudpipe
I should clarify...$9000 including the price of the car. So really like $3000. *Editted to reflect this clarification.*

okok sounds better, well depends on what u want, a car for daily driving, or are you trying to get more power and race or just go fo hp, if just daily driving i will say ur in for problems down the road. especailly since u dont know much about hondas
Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM
haz hype

it_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond repute

a chipped bolt on B series(?) in a sol thats also been sprayed on for $8k? IMO no way...especially if its burning oil...
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Chipped bolt? How do you mean?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 94b18c1
okok sounds better, well depends on what u want, a car for daily driving, or are you trying to get more power and race or just go fo hp, if just daily driving i will say ur in for problems down the road. especailly since u dont know much about hondas

I never said I didn't know much about wrenching. I worked as a mechanic for 2 years restoring old British sports cars, as well as working on my and friend's vehicles. When I say I don't know much about Hondas, I mean I can't tell you exactly what car(s) a B16 was put in, etc. etc. or what the big aftermarket manufacturers are, how much parts cost, etc.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Chipped bolt? How do you mean?
He means and altered ECU and bolt ons...

I wouldn't pay 8k for it ever.

Edit:

Apparently is got a fairly rare motor in it, a twin cam VTEC.

This kind of made me laugh.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
This kind of made me laugh.
Well you can kind of kiss my ass. I'm talking about in a del Sol. Use your brain. It's a B16A3 that's stock, not a swap. If you can't offer information without being a smartass, then just don't.

So, if $8k is to much, what would be a fair offer for it?

Last edited by Loudpipe; 11-13-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Well you can kind of kiss my ass. I'm talking about in a del Sol. Use your brain. It's a B16A3. If you can't offer information without being a smartass, then just don't.
Did I insult you? I don't think so. I said the statement made me laugh, and if you weren't so uptight it would make you laugh too.

I offered you good advice, the car is way fucking overpriced and you would be foolish to buy it.

Quick Reply: How Much to Offer?