Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Go green cars with assloads of savings.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie
Default Re: Go green cars with assloads of savings.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Given the price of gas and the price of electricity, for a standard sized vehicle the cost of gas per mile is about 5 times greater than the cost of electricity per mile. So if you plug your electric vehicle into your residential electrical service, your electricity bill will increase by a lot. But you'll NOT be spending 4 or 5 times that amount of money at a gas station. So you're really just shifting money from the gas station to the electric bill, but saving a lot of money at the same time.

That's the short version.
If your electric company offers off peak rates that you can sign up for you also can get a much cheaper rate at night. Although, you may need an upfront investments to take advantage of this.

For example dominion power only offers off peak rates for commercial customers who have a high enough load to warrant it. (as far as I am aware of, so someone may prove me wrong)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
If your electric company offers off peak rates that you can sign up for you also can get a much cheaper rate at night. Although, you may need an upfront investments to take advantage of this.

For example dominion power only offers off peak rates for commercial customers who have a high enough load to warrant it. (as far as I am aware of, so someone may prove me wrong)
That's a really easy thing to do while charging a car overnight too, because the charger can be programmed to turn on/off based on peak hour scheduling.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Mr White
OK THAT IS IT....i have to ask. What do you do for a living, who are you!!? i only ask because you take the term "jack of all trades" and take it to a whole new height i have never seen. you give the most accurate and to the point information ON ANY SUBJECT i find you on....

Physical manifestation of Google
I just happen to have some knowledge in key areas, and that's what you remember. You don't notice when I keep my mouth shut when I don't know anything about a topic, like politics..

I'm just an engineer, nothing glamorous. I like to keep my air of mystery, otherwise I'm just a normal boring person.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

I just happen to have some knowledge in key areas, and that's what you remember. You don't notice when I keep my mouth shut when I don't know anything about a topic, like politics..

I'm just an engineer, nothing glamorous. I like to keep my air of mystery, otherwise I'm just a normal boring person.
I always picture you as the huge singer of Type-O Negative, but more sexy.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I always picture you as the huge singer of Type-O Negative, but more sexy.
I'm a 5'8" nerd, but more sexy.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

I'm a 5'8" nerd, but more sexy.
Oh, hey now.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Racetracks

LOL.. Holy shit..
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

My STI gets 15-19mph and I dont give a FUCK!! I enjoy every mile in that car.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

autopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these partsautopilot is infamous around these parts

Determining logic for me would be how far can you go on a single charge electric car and time it takes to recharge vs a single tank of fuel with a diesel. Right now, the diesel has my vote.