Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Ghetto Rigging.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 AM
+rep!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBXboost has disabled reputation
Default Ghetto Rigging.

This *SHOULD* prove to be a very interesting thread.

I don't care how "anti-rice" you call yourself, everyone has done it at one point or another. Whether it was an on the spot fix or a neccessity that you forgot about. Duct Tape, Zip Ties, Wedging items in to hold parts apart, putting screws in places that they were never in before......
Post your stories.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

TSI4Free has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ghetto Rigging.

My Oil cap snapped off. The prongs that hold it on fell down into the head. I'm sitting there thinking . A guy I know pulls up and starts talking to me. So luckly enough I had a magnet in my car to get the pieces out. So I take what is left of the oil cap and place it onto of the hole. Then the guy suggest placing somthing ontop of it so that when the hood was closed it would not come off. So I did and it was enough to get me home and get one of my spare oil caps.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:56 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

When I had my first Civic, it got to a very ghetto point. I had the hood tied down with some string.

One day my brother was driving it and it came up on him. It sucked really bad, but it was all good. The car was due for body work in 3 days.

When I wired up my knock-sensor, I tried like hell to get into the OEM harness, but I couldn't. So I drilled a hole thru a grommet, and slid the wire thru there. I don't know if I'd call it ghetto, but I didn't like it too much.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

my boost controller is a carburator spring My oil catch can is a air compressor oil separator. I used zip ties to hold my rear bump up when i rolled it because i was too lazy to use a bolt and some washers.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Hereeeeesss Beezyy!

word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris

i have a bright yellow bread tie holding my front lisence plate on.

other than that, look at my car.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:44 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

The vtec selenoid on the h22 swap. we didnt have any harnesses or clips for it. so the wires were just put on and electrical taped on w/ a crap load of tape. and there it stayed for the duration.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

My 240 used to have... a lot of stuff on it being held on by zipties: fenders, front bumper, front lip, sideskirts, various shit under the hood, various shit inside the car... you know how it goes.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Jesus bilt my hotrod

Focal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these parts

I cross threaded my spark plug once, said fuck it and tightened all the way down. Then sold it.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:35 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

my entire car was once zip tied.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

ok, i had this geo metro once that was an abandoned car that i got the title for. $15 for a 92 metro, and i had no interest in putting in any more money into it. once i had the title in hand, i went out and coat hangered the doors open. then i took off the steering wheel and used my angle grinder and 150' of extension cord to hack off the ignition lock. from there it was a simple matter of bypassing some fuses and using a spare battery i had to get it running. we beat the hatch lock out with a hammer and chisel, and i opened the rear hatch with a screwdriver from then on. i never locked the doors, and i made a bracket out of aluminum to hold the turn signal stalk and what remained of the ignition switch. i then used my dremel to cut out a big paddle shaped thing from one of the hubcaps, which i shoved into the ignition switch. so for the 4 or 5 months i drove it, anyone could walk up, get in, turn the big paddle and drive off. and the radiator fan was hooked up to the battery with a 3 dollar radio shack switch and some speaker wire that i had ripped out of the hatch area.