Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Freakin awesome exhaust law proposal!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 10:22 AM
I <3 BOOST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Freakin awesome exhaust law proposal!!!

Hope this isn't a repost. We all need to contact our reps. to give support!!! It would finally give enthusiasts a break.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Legislation to Allow Reasonable Exhaust System Modifications

Introduced in Virginia

Legislation (H.B. 2895) that would allow Virginia’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test standard has been introduced in the Virginia State Legislature by Delegate William Fralin (Del_Fralin@house.state.va.us)

We Urge You to Contact Your Virginia State Legislators Immediately to Support H.B. 2895

· H.B. 2895 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test (Society of Automotive Engineers J1169 - May 1998).

· H.B. 2895 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.

· H.B. 2895 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust systems not of a type installed as standard factory equipment are considered illegal - even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased durability and performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

· H.B. 2895 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.

Contact Delegate Fralin (Del_Fralin@house.state.va.us)to thank him. Contact your own state legislators in Richmond immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their support for this legislation. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are and their contact information, please contact the Virginia Legislature’s General Information Line at (804) 698-1500. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007, ext. 38 or via the Internet at http://www.semasan.com/ContactYourLegislator.aspx Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org or fax to 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20004

Attention: Steve McDonald

****UPDATE!!!! 1/27/2005****

Legislation to Allow Reasonable Exhaust System Modifications
To Be Heard in Committee Tomorrow, Jan. 28

Legislation (H.B. 2895) that would allow Virginia’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test standard will be considered by Subcommittee 3 of the House Transportation Committee tomorrow, Jan. 28 at 7:00 a.m.

We Urge You to Contact Subcommittee Members (List Attached) Immediately

to Support H.B. 2895

· H.B. 2895 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test (Society of Automotive Engineers J1169 - May 1998).

· H.B. 2895 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.

· H.B. 2895 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust systems not of a type installed as standard factory equipment are considered illegal - even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased durability and performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

·H.B. 2895 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Virginia House Transportation Committee – Subcommittee 3 immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support of this bill.

Subcommittee 3 Members

Charles Carrico, Sr.

Phone: (804) 698-1005

Email: Del_Carrico@house.state.va.us

Mamye BaCote

Phone: (804) 698-1095

Email: Del_BaCote@house.state.va.us

Timothy Hugo

Phone: (804) 698-1040

Email: Del_Hugo@house.state.va.us

Joe May

Phone: (804) 698-1033

Email: Del_May@house.state.va.us

G. Glenn Oder

Phone: (804) 698-1094

Email: Del_Oder@house.state.va.us

Albert Pollard, Jr.

Phone: (804) 698-1099

Email: Del_Pollard@house.state.va.us

Jackie Stump

Phone: (804) 698-1003

Email: Del_Stump@house.state.va.us
Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default Re: Freakin awesome exhaust law proposal!!!

Yeah I've seen this posted a few times and it's a sticky here.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I <3 BOOST

i never check any forum other than the 757 forum... i suck at life
Old 02-07-2005, 11:19 AM
*Latinus Spicticus*

acuratuner00 has disabled reputation

also here.....http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81220
Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

didnt see that before
Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Hmm.. finally.
"H.B. 2895 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing."
Amen.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

I'm glad I drive a domestic and don't have to worry about that shit.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I <3 BOOST

umm, the law will still pertain to domestics... legally
Old 02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

repost from two weeks ago. however, i have received a few email replies from the ones i conversed with, not to mention i had a delegate in the shop the other day getting some work done, so i made mention of it also
Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you guys would have checked the sticky, you'd see that the bill has been tabled.

Quick Reply: Freakin awesome exhaust law proposal!!!